Biologics and probiotics.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, has anyone been advised to take probiotics when being prescribed biologics, I'm asking because biologics suppress parts of the immune system, that being the case probiotics may help to protect against any infections.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm on Cimzia and was specifically told not to take probiotics or eat any yogurts with live cultures x

• Posted

Hi, I've just been assessed for biologics, and if I'm prescribed them I'll see what Rheumatologist says, I take Kefir and probiotic yogurt, I would not really want to stop, thanks.

• Posted

I have been on Humira for 11 years and my rheumatologist put me on a probiotic several years ago.  I have been much healthier since that time, I used to catch every bug that was going around!  I would suggest you follow the advice of your doctor, I do think they have different opinions.  
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for reply, I take Kefir and probiotic yogurt, my thinking is if biologics lower certain parts of the immune system, and probiotics protect against harmful bacteria strains, it's a good idea to take probiotics etc.

• Posted

Hi Martin,

I had the same question at one time and researched it and found opposing answers so I just went with my gut (LOL) I take prebiotics, probiotics and glutamine. The pre & probiotics help with your elimination. If you take pain relievers it helps a lot I think. I have never had that problem. Gluatmine....I talked to a medical researcher a couple of weeks ago and she said to take glutamine. They advertise it as a muscle builder but it repairs the stomach and intestine lining where food leaks into your system causing inflammation. I've only taken it about a week so far so I really don't know yet

• Posted

Hi, I make milk kefir it's a strong probiotic and eat probiotic yogurt, and eat sourdough bread, I do this because I have IBS as well as RA, so I reckon I'll just carry on, I aren't on biologics just yet but have been assessed I'll see what Rheumy says, thanks.

• Posted

HI Martin

I have Crohn's and inflammatory arthritis and saw the GI doc today.  I asked her about biologics and probiotics and her opinion and told her MDs have differing opinions.  Her answer was that she understands the differing opinions by doctors but thinks that probiotics are not going to matter that much one way or the other and to try them and see if they help.  I take probiotics daily but can't say I see much of a difference

Humira didn't work for me and I had awful side effects so she is contacting my insurance company to see what biologic they will approve next for my 2 autoimmune conditiions.   It's a struggle

I showed her a medical paper on low starch diet for RA and crohns.  She agrees that diet plays a role and that starch and sugars are bad for the gut 

and RA.  The low starch diet I looked up was extremely restrictive.  Not sure I could do that even for one day.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.