Biologics/improvement

Posted , 5 users are following.

A couple of fingers on my left hand don't work too well anymore making it impossible to grio anything:   screwdrivers, hammers, the steering wheel and so on.   I'm due to start biologics in a couple of months and wondering if my fingers will improve once on them.   I'd appreciate answers from those who have or are experiencing the same problem, we can all guess or suppose but that leads nowhere...

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I can feel for you, my pointer finger or first finger is the one most affected on my right hand, and of course I am right handed as well.

Drives me nuts, but adapt and overcome has been my way of dealing with.

My pen is a giant about an inch thick through the body, I can use it, but really have big problems with a normal pens, get some really funny looks when I pull out my own pen to sign various things.

I have had my daughter and son watching for giant kitchen tools as well and have built up a reasonable collection through vinnies type shops, mainly arthritis adapted tools, also have found that you can buy arthirits adapted tools, many web sites but they are not cheap, even an adapter for your steering wheel.

I gave up driving for a number of years due to my inability to grip and the worn out hips were at that point causing me really big problems, but hip replacement has solved that, and getting in and out of car.

• Posted

Problems with my hands, no strenght in wrists, some knuckles big and no grip, right hand worse, use levers to open jars etc, what can you do but struggle on.
  • Posted

Hi. Biologics helped my inflammation greatly but only where erosion had not occurred. It didn't help.my knees which are now replaced. Also I have been on enbrel for two years and it is not as effective on my inflammation. However I believe I can change biologics now. Hope it's a success for you. Good luck.
  • Posted

Once on biologics is it necessary to continue with MTX.   Since starting MTX around 8-9 months ago, my finger and thumb have gotten far worse as has my elbows and now the RA is affecting my shoulders.   I don't feel the MTX is stopping the spread of RA much less helping with pain.   Whilst I'm not supposed to take ibuprofen whilst on MTX and hydroxychloroquine on ocasions I really have no choice.   Just two ibuprofen seem to last close to 24 hours and whilst the pain is still there the ibuprofen is the only thing that actually helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.