Biologics treatment for Ulcerative Colitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

I am in the US and I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis throughout the entire colon (“Pancolitis”) (mild / moderately severe colitis) a couple of years ago. Since my diagnosis,  I have been on Budesonide, Lialda enema, Lialda tablets, Imuran (Azathioprine) tablets, etc.

Currently, I am on Prednisone (10 mgs a day), Lialda (2 tablets daily, 1.2 gms each tablet), Imuran (Azothioprine, 2 tablets, 50 mgs each). I started flaring some months ago and took Prednisone (40 mgs) and now I am tapering it down (at 10 mg now) and under the advice of the doctor, I am thinking of taking the next step towards Biologics treatment (Humira, Remicade, Entyvio). Since I have not taken any Anti-TNF biologics (Remicade, Humira) before, my insurance will probably approve me for Remicade / Humira before approving me for Entyvio (which I am guessing will be approved only after the Remicade / Humira treatment has failed).  I am doing research to find out the following details:

1)      What is the remission rate of people who have taken Remicade  / Humira / Entyvio? Is there a good website where I can find this information?

The clinical trials had a “Clinical remission” rate of 35% for Remicade (after 54 weeks of treatment) and 17.3% for Humira (After 52 weeks of treatment) (please note sources below). Entyvio clinical trials show that the “clinical remission rate” is around 51% (after 12 months of treatment, I think, but seems quite high compared to Remicade and Humira). All the “clinical remission” rates seem pretty low. For example, only around 17 out of 100 people treated with Humira achieved successful clinical remission, after 52-54 weeks of treatment? Am I interpreting this wrong? Could you please let me know what you all think?

2)      How long will I be in continued remission after starting the biologics treatment (either Humira, Remicade, or Entyvio)? Are we talking 2 years or 5 years or 20 years? Is there any percentage data? (meaning, what % of patients who take biologics have stayed on remission for the next 20 years,  and what % of patients have not, etc.?)

I sometimes see people in some forums on the Internet, get on biologics, say Remicade for 2 years, then they increase the dosage when current dosage doesn’t work and then move on to Entyvio for a certain dosage and when that dosage doesn’t work, move on to higher dosage and eventually end up in surgery (and get their colon removed). What % of people end up like this?

3)      What are the common long-term side effects associated with biologics?

When doing some research on the internet, side effects range from Lymphoma to instances of skin cancer, etc. Some people also suffer from TB and fall prey to other infections, etc. What side effects do you think are common?

Thanks a lot, everybody, and hope you are all in remission or are heading to remission!

God Bless!

Ray

Sources used:

http://www.remicadehcp.com/ulcerative-colitis/clinical-data/clinical-remission

https://www.humirapro.com/gastroenterology/ulcerative-colitis-clinical-data

https://www.takeda.com/newsroom/newsreleases/2017/new-real-world-analyses-support-effectiveness-and-safety-of-entyvio-vedolizumab-for-ulcerative-colitis-and-crohns-disease/

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ray,

I am sorry that I am unable to answer your question. To date I am one of the fortunate ones in as much as I keep on top of my colitis with just mesalazine. 

Of course I am all too well aware that my time may well come at some indeterminate future date!

I hope and pray that you will get relief and remission very soon, and send you my very best wishes for a healthy future.

Peter A

• Posted

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your quick reply! No problem regarding your answer. I am happy to hear from you!

That is great to hear that you are able to keep UC under control with mesalazine. I hope you stay in remission for a long time and that you don't have to go close to biologics at all!

Thanks again for your prayer and for your wishes! I hope that whatever biologics I use, it will put me into remission and keep me there for a while!

God Bless!

Ray

• Posted

Dear Ray,

Thank you so much for your very kind and generous comments; I do appreciate them.

All the very best and please do let us all know how you progress.

With every blessing and prayers.

Peter A

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.