Bionic Lens - should we wait for this "transformative" lens?

Posted , 4 users are following.

The Bionic Lens is an intra-ocular lens, a group of lenses which are surgically inserted into a patient’s eye, usually after cataract removal, to restore sight.   Now patented world-wide, the Bionic Lens is designed to replace the eye’s natural lens, before cataract development, a refractive procedure currently known as refractive lens exchange (RLE). By imparting customized modifications to each lens, not just the prescription but ‘higher order aberrations’ can be corrected, allowing the full potential of a healthy visual system to be realized.

Media interest has understandably focused on the superior distance vision this lens promises. However, the true transformation will lay in the ability to successfully allow dynamic changes in vision from “optical infinity to 1 inch away in less than ¼ sec”, as he purports. This is where, to date, any other procedure has fallen short of even approaching this claim. In May, Dr. Webb and his Harvard appointed, medical advisory team will present initial animal study results at a conference of cataract and refractive surgeons in New Orleans. What will certainly spark greater interest is, a demonstration of how the Bionic lens can be successfully folded and injected into the eye via a small, suture-less incision, an accomplishment which was 8 years in the making. To date, Dr Webb remains optimistic that in Canada and several other interested countries, approval for some level of use may occur in 2017

Over the last 25 years my partners and I have observed the scientific path of this optometrist/researcher as well as the evolution and passage of numerous refractive procedures. It is with great interest that we await to see where these 2 vectors shall ultimately intersect…in the future of vision

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes. It will be nice to have such a lens available.

But someone is dreaming if:

"In May, Dr. Webb and his Harvard appointed, medical advisory team will present initial animal study results at a conference of cataract and refractive surgeons in New Orleans."

and believes that:

"Dr Webb remains optimistic that in Canada and several other interested countries, approval for some level of use may occur in 2017."

• Posted

I will watch with interest.  I asked my surgeon about better lens around the corner and he said it will be years.

• Posted

I hope such super-vision IOLs become available eventually, but suspect it will be 10years or more away before approval.  They don't even have IOLs available yet that equal a young natural human lens capabilities, so one that exceeds that would be even farther in the future.

I don't think I can wait that long unfortunately and have to make do with whats available now.  Should be great for the next generation of cataract patients though!

• Posted

Too late for me!  Would be cool to have $6 million dollar eyes though- as long as it didn’t cost that amount!!!!
    • Posted

Cost - thats another question, they could be ultra-premium price when it ever comes out!
    • Posted

And they could have night time issues.
    • Posted

They would cost $3200 per lens.
    • Posted

Is it on the market already? FDA approved?
    • Posted

It is not. I don't think they have even had human trails. 

Sounds too good to be true. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.