Biopsy diagnoses

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all.

I live in the U.K. and wondered how common a biopsy is here, compared to the USA, where

It appears to be standard procedure.

Just interested... I may be mistaken!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am in the uk too diagnosed by my GP on Tuesday no biopsy either . I am seeing a gynaecologist on Monday afternoon so maybe they will do it ccc
  • Posted

Hi Frances, I didn't have a biopsy until well down the line. My GP was confident to diagnose by visual means.

I had a biopsy last December when I had a sore area removed and biopsied. I had had the sore for a year and it was spreading. The concern was that it could be VIN

a pre cancer condition. Fortunately the biopsy showed LS with ulceration. I am just continuing with my regular treatment of a milder steroid which I can use daily if I wish. I wouldn't push for a biopsy if you have confidence in your GP. Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Ann.

Yes, I totally agree with you, no biopsy unless absolutely necessary. 

I think probably the American system is a result of the medical insurance industry requiring proof of condition and justification of premium.

• Posted

HI there Frances. I'm in the U.S. and yeah, there is plenty of reason for cynicism about some aspects of our medical/insurance system. BUT, I have no reason to believe that a biopsy for LS is standard practice here.  I was diagnosed from visual inspection. I think you have a mistaken impression. It might just be that you read a few more messages from american women who had some other issues that needed clearing up. Just my thought.  I think what we are all learning here is that this little known disease is equally unknown to otherwise brilliant doctors as it is to women patients... and WE sufferers are becoming the educators by default! I don't blame my past gynecologist for not recognizing early symptoms that I even didn't realize. 

• Posted

Hi Nancy. Point taken, but biopsy certainly seems more prevalent in comparison to the UK.

I'm coming from the standpoint of unnecessary, further pain and suffering for the patients involved really. God knows we've got enough to contend with !!

F.

• Posted

Hi,  I had a biopsy because my GP thought it was cancer and suggested I see a gyn for a biopsy. It took me almost 2 years to get up enough nerve to get one.  That's when it was discovered I had LS, not cancer. I'm trying to focus on a better treatment plan and have been incorporating all the great advice on this forum, which has been very informative and comforting. I'm making an appointment with a Chinese herbalist and accupuncturist to see what he can suggest.  I'll keep everyone apprised of how that materializes.  If anyone has tried this I would love to hear their experiences.

• Posted

Yes i lived in the UK ans was only diagnosed in April my Gynaechologist knew about it as his wife is a dermatologist. 

It seems to be standard practice in US not UK 

• Posted

Hi hun, I’m in the uk too. Got diagnosed well over a month ago. Still waiting for dermatology appoint on nhs it’s a long wait! Requested few times to be referred to gynecologist after serval appoints got a refereal 6 weeks on.  

I went private with biopsy as my gp wasn’t 💯 sure which skin condition I had it was completely freaking me out! 

The biopsy confirmed I had LS. Still waiting for dermatology see what happens. 

• Posted

Know the feeling diagnosed Tuesday this week , now over analysing very ache and pain in my body . Have got gynaecologist appointment Monday but did it through our private medical insurance , it wasn’t offered to me neither was the dermatologist xxx
  • Posted

From the US!!!  I had to go 3 times prior to getting a biopsy.  
  • Posted

Hi, I'm in the UK & have just had my second biopsy in a year..never again. The first was to confirm LS..result was clear but both my GP & Gynaecologist say I have it & was prescribed Clob & Vagifem + moisturiser  for it before & since. My last routine checkup was told I have 'changes' & needed another biopsy & now await the result.

I had to stop all the treatment for two weeks before the biopsy incase it altered the result in some way. I asked for something to numb the area or gas & air before the local injection, as I found that was the worse bit.. was told no by the male doc.If LS is so obvious why the need for a biopsy unless cancer is suspected?

• Posted

I would never allow a doctor to biopsy me twice...unless it looked like something OTHER than LS. 

There is such ignorance out there from the doctors and when they look at LS symptoms and see ulcers they immediately think its something like the big C when in fact its just plain old lichen sclerosus.

I have actually read of women having it more than twice.

This is why its best to try to get to a Vulva clinic because the doctors there will have seen LS in all  the different ways that it presents itself.

Your doc doesnt sound very sympathetic.

• Posted

It was the same doc at the hospital who did both biopsies..not my female Gynaecologist who had put in my notes that although I was apprehensive of another biopsy, strongly recommend I needed another one. It has never been suggested that I be seen at a Vulva clinic.Presume you have to go through your GP? 
    • Posted

Hi, I am uncertain of the procedure, but I have a feeling it may be something you have to pay for privately...I don't know.  I wouldn't imagine it to be a vast sum and I don't think every City has them, which would mean some travel.  

I think this skin disease is stressful enough without having to suffer the indignity of showing your privates to people that aren't really qualified or knowledgeable enough to give you a visual diagnosis. When I say arent qualified what I am referring to are the doctors that dont take the time to do the research needed for LS.   I think if you are quite young it is even more important, as you are going to need people that you can rely on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.