Biopsy H. pylori testing - how long does results take?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am just curious as I have undegone endoscopy last month. The result on the paper has indicated H.pylori: negative. The result came a moment after I was recovering from the sedative so that was about 20-30 min after the endocopy procedure. The doctor did not discuss it to me even when i came back to him for the follw up checkup and I was also not able to ask him the question. I just relied on the paper results. I was just thinking now, Is it possible that the result is that fast? or i am just paranoid. I wouldnt want to be misdiagnosed.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The exact same thing happened to me and I did wonder! I'm being retested tomorrow after a year of my symptoms not going away but this time through the stool test.. maybe ask your gp for one if you're really uncertain about your result!

• Posted

Other things can cause stomach issues other than h pylori. It may be that you don't have h pylori and other things are causing issues. If you have gastritis it takes months to heal even when no h pylori present.

• Posted

Your doctor should have discussed the results with you during your follow up appointment.  That is what a follow up is for.  You should not have had to rely on your paper results which is in medical speak and therefore inaccessible to ordinary people like us. Leaving you with a lack of information is naturally going to fuel your anxiety.  However, most of the time doctors do not misdiagnose. Perhaps see a different doctor for a second opinion to try and identify your symptoms.  There maybe other causes for your symptoms.   It seems that h pylori has been ruled out.

To be honest, I would be happier with a fast result rather than having to wait and end up with my imagination running away with itself.  A quick result doesn't necessarily mean that it is inaccurate.

• Posted

H pylori can be very difficult to erradicate, all depends on the efficiency of the medication, plus natural remedies on the top of that. Do not forget to take probiotics, which are very beneficial to restore the interstinal flora when once you finish your antibiotics intake. <speaking the diagnose of h pylori, I think the endoscopy is more reliable test than just simple blood test. Good luck!

• Posted

It's called rapid urease test.

the fresh biopsy reacts in this test within 7-10minutes.

(but having said so, sometimes takes 20min and always should be reviewed after 24 if it was neg after 20min)

It's 96.8% sensitivity and 100% specificity if a body of stomach sample is used,

but drops to 73% sensitivity (still 100% specifity) when antrum of stomach sample is used.

So negative can mean you still have it, but you need to see, which part the blind biopsy was taken from.

Since your biopsies should also get a haematoxilin staining to search for microscopic gastritis etc, sometimes the bacteria can also be seen simply as being present, not a urea metabolite testing.

These stains usually take longer done in the lab and not reported within 30min.

So you should have a full report after one month received printed out which should inclued a written report about H.pylori findings (later readings, colour stain findings),

but a quick oral feedback about macroscopic findings and quick rapid urea test result are always given.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.