Biosimilar switch after 17 years on Enbrel?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been on Enbrel for 17 years after finally getting diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. I lived with constant flares in my back since i was 13 years old and i am now 54. This caused antibodies and infertility.

I was given Enbrel which worked pretty much immediately and was then given a biosimilar of Benepali years later - within 3 weeks my symptom's returned and i felt so poorly on it. The exhaustion was back and i couldn't get to work. Consultant advised going back on Enbrel which worked immediately again. My levels have been excellent with zero flares whilst on Enbrel. My hospital want me to use a biosimilar now due to a cost issue. They are now advising Erelzi. I am worried about changing my drug ( although i have agreed to try it) my concern is if Erelzi doesn't suit me like Benepali. The hospital have said 'they will not be using Enbrel going forward. Enbrel has been life changing for me. I now work for myself and need to stay active. I am due to discuss my options with the Consultant and feel I need some info from anyone who has experience with switching and it not working. Many thanks - new to the forum.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.