Biotics, Prebiotics and Antibiotics

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone else here had bad experiences as a result of taking antibiotics where they were allergic to them or had terrible side effects? Do you make sure you have enough prebiotics and/or biotics in your system to put this right?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i think that it depends why the antibiotics are being taken.

for example sometimes i have been advised by the GP or dentist to eat plenty of live yoghurt to maintain gut flora etc that might be destroyed by the antibiotic. However i think that if the antibiotic is being taken for a digestive problem then i think that probiotics are not advised becasue they could counteract the effect of the antibiotic. I am not sure about this therefore it is best to check with yor  pharmacist and / or GP.

if you are allergic to the antibiotic then i think it is best to seek medical advice quite quickly, just to be sure. they might be able to prescribe a different drug.

wishing you better.

• Posted

It is no good checking with a pharmacist or doctor, they know nothing about these things, they end up asking me for advice on it. IF you are allergic to an antibiotic then you stop taking it straight away.
    • Posted

By the way. Biotics could never counter act against the antibiotics. They are different and do different things. But asking the doctors and pharmacists is asking the unknowledgeable and blind. They dont research into nutrition and this is a nutrition issue.
  • Posted

Many people suffer allergic reactions to antibiotics. Antibiotics can disturb the balance of your "inner rain forest" by killing friendly bacteria. Whenever you take antibiotics, you should probably take probiotics as well and continue them for some time after you are done with the course of treatment.

They can help to keep the digestive system in balance and functioning optimally, restore normal flora, and may support immune system function, especially when a person is taking antibiotics.

Mild side effects should subside on their own once the course of treatment is over. If not, you should contact your doc at earliest.

• Posted

Yes you are right Alex. But what a lot of people dont take note of is that prebiotics are just as important as biotics. No good taking one without the other really, it would make very little difference. If you are living in the UK there is a programme on next week about antibiotics and how taking them can cause allergies etc. I believe that most cases of so called ibs are really the gut flora being out of balance and needing to be redressesed, which is why the doctors and consultants dont help, they dont recognise the importance of gut flora so always look for other ways, ways that do not work, painkillers etc that just mask symptoms rather than curing the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.