Bipola and medicated - antidepressant and mood stabiliser. Making a change and just wanted to ask...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I take an anti-depressant and mood stabilizer for bipolar.

I'm about to make a change to my antidepressant and this is always difficult. My psychiatrist gives me a short course of zopiclone during any stressful times.

I'm going to need a daytime sedative too and don't want to take diazepam, it relaxes me for about 1-2 hours and then I get rebound agitation worse than how I felt initially.

Can anyone please suggest some other anti-anxiety meds, (for short term use only)?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Chlorpromazine.  It's an old drug. It can be used very short term and in smaller amounts. Suitability depends on the expert advice of your psychiatrist who knows what drugs are acceptable to you.

Practical ways you may manage yourself and probable are aware.  No caffeine, decaffinated drinks only, healthy eating cutting out refined sugar.  Sleep at night.  Look up foods that help you sleep, help to wind you down or keep relaxed.

• Posted

Hydroxyzine (Vistaril) is a good drug.  It's non-addictive and mild. It's one that you don't often hear about, but it actually has been shown to be more effective than benzodiazepines for anxiety.  I wouldn't recommend it for extremely long periods but great for short term relief.  It doesn't make you feel as good as alcohol or a benzo would, but it doesn't make you feel that bad either.  It's also safer than the other drugs, a cousin of Diphenhydramine (benedryl) but it works by blocking 5HT-2 (serotonin receptors that has aggravate anxiety), and D2 dopamine receptors and some adregenic receptors.  It's effective but within a day it can be out of your system and you'll feel like your old self again - for better or worse.
    • Posted

Apart from diazepam I've never been given an anti-anxiety medication. I've had antidepressants and mood stabilizers but no anxiety medications. I feel so horrible right now I just want to crawl out of my own skin. I give up asking for suggestions because I never get what I ask for. I suffer and suffer with all my symptoms and I can't get any peace from it all. I can be told on support sites to ask for this and that and try this and that but I'm never ever listened to apart from by my partner. I give up, I just have to accept that I'll always feel bad sad
  • Posted

I just want to say, I completely understand and relate to your posting, but you simply cannot allow yourself to take that position.  Giving up is the WORST thing you can do.  I too have experienced great frustration in dealing with medical providers.  I have had some doctors that were extremely helpful and truly made great efforts to help me get feeling better (even if it didn't work - ha ha).

Can you tell me exactly what you are taking, and what dosage?  Could be the drugs you are taking are actually CAUSING the problem.

Also, if your doctor is just plain uncooperative, find a better one.  It's your life.  You doctor doesn't have to live with your symptoms, you do.  You need to be the biggest advocate for your own health.

Hang in there!

Best,

Steve

• Posted

My partner is my carer and has said she'll ring tomorrow. I'm 40 so not a spring chick with it all. Feeling too crap to communicate. Much. I'll post again with anything positive...
  • Posted

Cheer up Cinnabar, things are not as always as bad as they seem.  Try not to think too much.  Try and take a warm milky sweet drink before you go to bed tonight, (even if you hate milk) just try and rest in bed and get off to sleep.    You've been getting a lot of good stuff on here, from people who do actually care even though no one knows each other!!.  40 is a little spring chicken!!!! ......I promise you!!  Rest now, and have a little chat with your partner tomorrow, she might come up with something that suits you both fine and a next step to helping you to feeling much better. (it' s a little cooler tonight, if you just fill part of a hot water bottle, it will help the circulation of your feet, to try and help you relax)
  • Posted

My partner woke me to tell me I've got an earlier appointment with the psychiatrist. She's made notes so knows what to ask for. I just need to chomp at the bit until I can feel better. 
  • Posted

Hopeyou are feeling much better soon Cinnabar.
  • Posted

I saw the psychiatrist today. It was very confusing. I can't focus and it's all a blur. All new medication tomorrow and something to help me sleep and something to be calmer while I lower my current meds and go on new ones.

I feel insane.

• Posted

Hi Cinnabar,

Well done to getting to your psychiatrist.  I hope your partner was able to be with you so you don't miss out on anything.  These things taike time, I am told, but I hope you will be feeling much better soon.  A little kindness to yourself and being as patient as you can with yourself,  helps me to keep well.  Wishing you the very best, take care now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.