bipolar 1 depression and prozac

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed BP1 30 years ago. I haven't had a manic episode (full on psychotic breaks- total breaks with reality) in 28 years. The manic episodes were so devastating, so destructive that I still suffer from PTSD because of them. They happened because when I was first diagnosed I refused to take my prescribed med- lithium. Three years ago I started having problems with my kidneys so my Pdoc took me off lithium and put me on lamictal. The most insidious part of my BP1 symptoms is that I rapid cycle into depression. I have horrible, mind bending major depressive episodes (MDE) that lead to frequent thoughts of suicide. I have taken EVERY anti-depressive med I could that is safe to take as a BP1 and NONE have worked. My Pdoc has now recommended 10mg of Prozac one time per week.  I have always been told to NEVER take a standard anti-depressant- especially Prozac- because of the threat of it causing manic episodes. It’s not that I don’t trust my Pdoc- he says new research has shown that 10mg of Prozac once a week will significantly help. I’m posting to see if anyone who has similar history like mine can confirm this research, taken Prozac or think this a good idea or bad idea. Please help. 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

It's always difficult to hear of others struggles, I am really sorry your struggling. I am Bipolar one and rapid cycler with psychotic features. Your med situation is like mine. Nothing is really working for keeping me from the depressive cycle. I am on lithium and it is sorta working but not to the level to provide a comforting relief.

My psychatrist is very apprehensive to perscribe an antidepressant because it can induce mania. I had ECT two years ago and it somewhat dulled my serious depressive episodes. I want to try the ECT again.

How you described your manic eposides, I can identify. Terrifying as hell. I can understand why your apprehensive about taking prozac.

Ask your psychtrist questions and see if there are other treatment options. Reach out to your support network to help you through this.

Take Care

B

• Posted

I'm diagnosed BP1 and have tried prozac... my experience with Prozac after 3 days is personally horrifying. The first day I was okay, the second I started having stronger obsessive thoughts and started hearing voices , was really edgy, paranoid, more irritable than normal, the third day I remember getting ready for work and having an extremely hard time doing the same simple makeup I do every single day. I basically started freaking out so bad I smeared makeup all over my face and yelling "there, you're f*****g pretty now b***h"... I ended up on the floor shaking and nearly ripping my hair out while I screamed at the voices to leave me alone. After 3 hours on the bathroom floor clawing and yelling at myself I suddenly felt more depressed than I think I've ever been with extremely dark thoughts. I've always had bad reactions to antidepressants, and feel like I should've known... but Prozac by far was the worst. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is already at risk of mania or experiences any type of psychotic symptoms. A few friends of mine also have similar stories. I would suggest if you've had bad side effects to any other antidepressants, then don't touch Prozac.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.