Bipolar Afective Disorder

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed on Thursday after being assessed and have been referred to the stage 2 mental health team as a priority due to suicidal tendencies, following a concerted attempt at taking my life on the Sunday previous. I was assured someone from the mental health unit would be contacting me with a view to putting emergency measures in place. Unfortunately this hasnt happened and being in the bottom of a low totally unmedicated and living alone is quickly become a nightmare even with the support of my friends via facebook.

When i was diagnosed i was asked if anyone else withinin my family was treated for depressive states , i have found out unbeknown to myself that 3 of my siblings suffered from depression at one point or another and my sister pointed out that the indications of myself having this were apparent at 13 years old , i am gonna be 46 in April , i have kept this nightmare within myself for 32 years with no medication , support or anything , but stresses over the last two years and last few months in particular led to a major episode last week and is continuing to deepen. It has cost me my relationship of ten months and i am now at my wits end because the promised support hasn't materialised , the fact that i live alone is making the situation even more desperate , i need help now , not in a couple of weeks time , that may be too late

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to read about your situation. I'm aware how difficult it can be when it all takes so much time to actually get things started. I don't know which area you live in, but if you look up your local area council services there should be some local mental health walk in unit, where you can phone or go at any time. Otherwise your local hospital A&E can direct you to the right people. Or ring the Samaritans, who can talk to you and direct you to local services as well. Also, there's NHS online, where someone will phone you and help with any advice needed.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

yes it does very much , thank you ,an interesting thing happened when i wrote this , i went to the info page for bipolar disorder, read it and it was like a light had switched on the description and symptoms rang true with lots of things that have happened and i have experienced in all of those years of being undiagnosed i felt like a huge burden had been lifted from me , i spoke to my ex partner and resolved lots of stuff , we will never be partners again unfortunately but it has all started helping me step up and away from the depths of this low , i have an incredible friends network who are very supportive too , i am in a far better place and i am hoping this will last until i get some kind of treatment regime in place , the statement i made i used the filter set to public so it is open , if i can make anyone aware of this disorder or alert them to the posibility of having it and save them the agonising life time of low , mania and all of the disasterous choices made through having this disorder i will be happy the state ment can be found here and i put a link to the information page on this site to let people access this information , fingers crossed for myself now that i stay on this place i am now until i can access professional help

Emis moderator comment: I removed the facebook link as it went to a sign in page. If anyone would like the link they can send a private message to you to get the details.

• Posted

Hi

Did you not get given the phone number of the crisis team? You could call them if you're struggling, or go

back to the person who did the referral.

Snap on the diagnosis took me about 30 yrs to get diagnosis, I'm struggling with it! Xxx

• Posted

I got A referral , been off of work 10 weeks , started back to work Monday , being counselled by recovery teams psychiatrist which has been very helpful and taking 100mg of Sertraline daily , touch wood no episodes at the moment

• Posted

That's brilliant, don't feel that you can't ask for help though; you may also find one of the MH forums

helpful, and very reassuring. I have tried them all, but find 'Rethink ' really helpful, not too intense but

helpful in terms of being able to talk to people without feeling the need to cover up.

Anyway, good luck with work; I'm unable to work but because of strokes not the bi-polar,!

Take care xxx

• Posted

Hang in there. Seeing the right doctor is the way forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.