Bipolar and current relationship

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder as my misis moved out..I was so mad and couldnt undwerstand but have now had the apifany that I was a nightmere to live with and hate it. Ive had my issues but thought I was just a little sad and greaving from a marrage break up. I've lied about my feelings to everyone and thought I was just sparing them worrying! I'm kind of glad I am now bwing propely medicated and am not ashamed of the way I am what so ever. I am actually releaved that the way I am is not actually me and part of my make up, I can't wait to feel how a normal person feels, I'm exceited about it! However.. Ive read the forums on relationships and even though my current partner has moved out she is my life and its more than just a girlfriend boyfriend thing. We have  the same idea of what we want and are great when its great but horrible when its not which is down to me I guess but still dont see it because Im obviously mental!

I.ve realised that I need the right help and am trying to fx it whilst remaininng positive and leaving my partner alone to sort herself out bacause shes obiously drained and I respect that.

Sorry for the rant, I suppose I'm just asking[that even though she loves me, will she actulay want to be with me again or be too scared now I'm a

ctually on the crazy list. I hate that thought because I thought she'd be better but I do understand I'm ahard work!

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Matt

You have at least understood by now you need help, although you have not mentioned the types of medications you are taken and any other treatment plans that have been introduced to you.

It is very important you keep taking your medications and any other treatments they are offering.

I do not know what the situation was with your Wife or Girlfriend and why they left you. Bi Polar can be stressful for those around you and it can effect people who are also related to you, it would seem is you can in the future you may need to be remorsful because of your condition.

Hopefully your medications will stablize and you will move on, relationships are your concern and I feel you need to settle and allow your condition to stablize

Depending on you, and taking your medications there is no reason why you should not live a stable life. Again it is important you let your medication work and understand you will most probably be on them for a long time or perminent

BOB

• Posted

your number one priority is for you to prove to yourself that you can remain stable or era period of time without episodes. Failure to do this will lead to more complications and will do nothing to restore your nelationship. You are currently the most important person. Proof of your ability to remain stable will provide evidence of your desire to remain in the best of mental health increasing your chances of a successful relationship. First things first Best wishes.
  • Posted

I'm on the other end of things, my recent ex girlfirend was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I can tell that even though it gets difficult, I love that woman so much that no matter what shes feeling or going through I'd want to be by her side. She too asked me the that question after I experienced her first inpatient stay. 

My advise would be to ask her, help her to learn about it and to understand what to look for, and how to help.

• Posted

Thanks for replying... I think I know that's she's running because she doesn't love me as you love very ur miss. I'd be the same as you and it's a harsh reality knowing deep down she's not there. Just wish she'd have the bullocks to be honest rather than making herself feel better half in... Half out. Or is that the paranoia... Ha. Who knows these days!

• Posted

I'm fortunate, I have a loving partner who puts up with me. He reads tons about bipolar and knows more than me! He's very attuned to when my moods are off. I love him and he suffers from issues of depression/anxiety and social phobia. I suppose what I am saying is, that we have both decided to be supportive of one another during our off times and on times too. 

I am a nightmare to live with too. At those times I need to be loved more, simply because I hate myself so much. 

Don't be so hard on yourself, you have an illness and have taken the right steps to get help and move forward. I find learning about my moods, apologizing for bad behavior (even though I can't help it) talking through touch episodes I've had help. 

Sometimes I am like an atomic bomb, so when the dust has settled I talk with my partner about it. It is traumatic for him and also for me. 

• Posted

P.S. 

you are not crazy, you have an illness. If you had cancer would people treat you with sympathy and caring? I'd like to hope so. I hope that you forgive yourself and find peace. 

• Posted

Hi Jim, your condition is similar to mine right now, lets me begin with my bipolar bf who I living with,

Well my bf who I’ve been with have suffered from bipolar all the girls in his past who he had been with never take him to treat his bipolar coz they love his mania about his money!!! But I think different I try to look up online to see his symptom which occur our relationship so bad and after I found out that he is bipolar then I asked him to have a treatment or end, he accepted my advice and have it treated in Thailand (that’s where we met).

Life is up and down his hypomania become aggressive especially with me who he know that I will forgive him only if he said sorry after he smashed my head with table and fan etc (in Jan 2017)…

On this trip march 2017 he had asked me if he can has ECT done coz he didn’t want to remember all the junk in his head, the doctor in new hospital have interviewed me for his condition which had been on bipo med for 6months but keep swinging like yoyo and of course that had already recorded by police the way he hurt me, the doctor accepted him after me begging for it. So far he had 2ECT sessions done and he refused to continue even though the session gotta be at least 4 with the new doctor and he claimed that ECT treatment is a trap to make people crazy!!?? I heard that everyday!! Nobody is good not even me!! However I would said my bf always wake up with a complained at everyone who in front of him to release his depression and he think like he is one genius never been beaten on earth and now I will try to give him med again and wait til he asking me again for ECT treatment which I think it effective more than 50% and I talk as a normal person who lived with bp man I can see the result better than the bipolar one I’m sure..every treatment at hospital can be painful and I been there but the result of it will make you proud afterward I believe like that.

• Posted

Hey... Good for u sticking with him but I'll say now depression and bipolar shouldn't be used as an excuse for smashing ur head against anything. I'm at one with it now and will own it, I'll be up and down but I'd never use it as an excuse for being a tw*t. In the last few weeks I've been to hell and back but have accepted what I am and will treat what I am but would never hurt someone I love no matter how much the rage hits me! It's no excuse and don't let anyone play on the leeway ur already allowing for there condition. U sound like a great person and I wish some people in my life were like u but don't let anyone take the p*ss! Sorry if this sounds harsh and it's non of my business but I understand this illness and will never let it control me or use it as an excuse. Rant over..... Thanks for the comment and good luck x

• Posted

I know what you trying to tell me but every time he did that he came back drunk and apologise claimed that this illness is over control which he been living with it for decade however this month been a hard month and my dog was injured he paid for the vet but the vet advice me to call the police I'm too soft to hurt him I just want him to walk away in peace if he still not happpy or not listen to my advice as he claimed that I gave him tablet coz I want to control him!!! This month he gone back to work but I will find a good time to discuss this situation as it need to be fix or he leave me in peace...I just can't take the risk any longer..

• Posted

I over Stepped and sorry about that, just can't help it sometimes. Hope u get it sorted anyway. Look after number one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.