Bipolar: has anyone been diagnosed without ever taking an antidepressant?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I was diagnosed Bipolar I about 8 years ago when I was 23. I was always just depressed and anxious before that and never had mania. I only got diagnosed AFTER I took certain antidepressants (only SSRIs) such as: Lexapro, Zoloft, and Prozac. I would like to know if there is anyone out there who is defintely biploar and has experienced a real manic episode without ever having taken an antidepressant before. I am just wondering if these medications are what trigger my mania. Currently I"m taking mood stabilizers, but usually they make me depressed so I need to be careful with them and not take too much. I am doing ok for now but need to be careful because when stressful things happen, I get very depressed. Thank you for your help.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I thought the diagnostic criteria for bipolar was to have at least one manic episode,otherwise its classed as depression? I know there's different criteria in different places though, just wondered.
  • Posted

Hi,

In response to your post I apologize for forgetting to mention that I have had 2 severe manic episodes in my life. One was triggered by Zoloft and the other was triggered by Lexapro (according to Psychiatrists in the hospital). I would just like to know if I am "safe" to take no mood stabilizers (will not get manic without them). I am currently taking Lamictal and Abilify but they tend to make me more depressed. I am also taking Wellbutrin for depression but it does not help that much and makes me anxious. Thanks again!

• Posted

Ah I see. Well all I can say is to talk to a psychiatrist about medication, they are experts in brain chemistry, much more knowledgeable than a GP who will generally just throw any old rubbish at you,they don't really know anything about mental health issues
    • Posted

I agree it is definitely necessary to see a psychiatrist, I do see one pretty regularly. I respect them for the most part because they are intelligent and know a lot about the medication. However I have received false information from a few (one has completely contradicted the other in a question I had about lamictal). I guess the point is, that I think the medications are flawed and very unpredictable so it is helpful to also get advice from other people too. It might just be that I have bad health insurance though, since they usually only see me for about 5 minutes each session once every 2 months, which isnt enough time to really go over all the symptoms and side effects. Thanks again 
    • Posted

I agree meds should be if possible avoided,I refuse any. Therapy does work well for me,sadly with the NHS it can be difficult to stay in good therapy for long
  • Posted

Obviously we need to look at the evidence (good studies) to be sure -  individual cases, though illuminating, come in many contrasting forms. But here's my experience in response to your question, Catherine. I had many episodes of mania and some episodes of low mood before I ever took any course of meds from doctors for my condition (my mood-swings started in my mid-20s). The first time I got a bipolar-related diagnosis was at the age of 39, and since then I've tried various meds, ending up now with the most effective so far: quetiapine. My experience is that my mood swings were far worse when I was unmedicated, and much better after I started taking quetiapine (3 years ago).  To be sure, these things are different for everyone, but that's how it was/is for me.
  • Posted

Hello Catherine,

I can identify with you. I was diagnosed 16yrs ago as bipolar and I have not been on antidepressant. I was rapid cycling manic but I thank God it is now under control.I am on a mood stabilzers as well.  I self talk a lot and I know what triggers me up and what takes me down so I try to avoid these things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.