Bipolar Hypomania and Drinking

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi does anybody else find that they drink all the time when they are hypomanic?  Does alcohol make bipolar Hypomania worse? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi ... I wouldnt say always at Hypomainia as I drink also when Im in the low stages too to try and get me to be in the hypomainia again but yes it makes it worse to the point i told my mum to F off.. I had to be dragged out off pubs and i slept with I dont even know how many people as I cant even remember sleeping with them so yes its not good and even when taking meds you are not allowed to drink on them as you could end up going backwards.. hope this helps xx
  • Posted

The short answer is Yes, the long answer is that self medication of your Hypomania is putting you at the top of a really long slippery slope that will mess you and every thing you hold dear to you up. It took me quite a few years before I got out of the cycle. Alcohol in its self is a depressant, it is not your friend in any way when it comes to BPD. It may seem like it is helping you out but it makes your extremes much much worse. I urge you to be careful when Drinking or (if you do), take any drugs. I'm not trying to preach, I would just suggest that you try and understand why and what your body is actually doing when you are drinking more, and what the effect of alcohol is doing to your mind. The sense of being in control of your emotions and feelings when you drink is not true. I would try and swap drink for something more constructive when you are Manic, before you end up self medicating more and more and find yourself unable to turn back.
  • Posted

I can't drink a drop on my medication otherwise it messes with my moods more. I used to want to drink more during low periods to lift me up into a happier hyperlike state but often ended up as a depressed & parinoid mess.

During hypomania everything is to excess..but people have different focuses; I overspend and reorganise everything.. others may use alcohol, sex, business projects, drugs, lots more, we are all different but we are all in the same hyperactive boat!! X

• Posted

Are kidding us?  Alcohol makes EVERYTHING worse.  Get some help and stop drinking.  

Bipolar disorder and  over indulgence of alcohol and/or drugs seems to go hand-in-hand, and it's a toxic combination.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.