bipolar & severe depression together.. is this really rare??

Posted , 4 users are following.

My phyciatrist tells me this is really rare together??

I find it really hard to believe or am I just paranoid. The lithium is working my moods are pretty stable no manic episodes but I am pretty low majority of the time .. I believe the lithium is working as I'm not acting on suicide thoughts were as before I would . Iv been on sirtraline. .mirtazapine over the last 3yrs didn't do any good ..I'm now on venlafaxine was working well until another 2 major dramas happened in my life ..the dose just gone upto 225mg.. pls can someone shine some light .. I feel like I'm just an existence cnt cope feeling like this anymore ..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've never heard of the two parallel illnesses. I always thought that severe depression was a part of bipolar.  You need a medication review if you cannot function.

• Posted

Get a new psychiatrist.  The one you have is a quack. 

Bipolar 2 and severe depression go hand-in-hand.  In fact that's pretty much in the clinical description of the disorder, that and with the ocasional hypo-mania (no full blown manias).  The depression with bipolar 2 can be very severe, so run away from this loser.  

You've taken the right steps by questioning  your doctor, now go the distance and get a competent one.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thankyou I will do she makes me feel horrible .. I will write the letter today x
  • Posted

Hi Sharon, I was diagnosed with BP 4 years ago, the manic episodes have gone but I'm really depressed! I've been on different antidepressants over the years and they haven't really worked!

I'm now at my lowest but doctors just keep increasing my dose and send me on my way. I don't shower for days on end and sleep in the day, don't eat much, irritable and feel worthless!!

I'm at a loss and feel my life has no meaning as all I do is get up take tablets and hope for the best, of course I try to help myself but then I fail, I give up on the first hurdle.

I don't want my bipolar and depression to rule my life, I want to rule it and have a life but tnere doesn't seem to be anyone to help. As I said they just change my meds and send me on my way. I got told by my doctor it's possible to have BP and depression together but from some replies here that's not the case. I really hope something gives soon as I need my life back!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.