Bipolar turp 5 days post surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a rough 4 days in the hospital afterward. Multiple flushings with syringes through the Foley. I'm home now without a catheter. I can urinate like I havent been able to the last 5 or 6 years. My flow is great with a tint of red and occasionally pass clots. I'm still very sore and spend alot of time on the couch. I'm thrilled that I can pee normally without urgency and frequency. I know my libido could have been risked I have weeks before I know where I stand with that. I'll keep you all posted.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Joe,

Nice to read your report! After years (at least ten) of weak urine flow and frequent, urgent urination plus an issue with bladder stones that was traced to enlarged prostate, I had a Button Turp procedure on October 2nd with the bladder stones lasered at the same time (they were too big to pass). I had a catheter in for a week. As soon as the catheter was removed, I noticed a dramatic increase in urine flow/velocity. It was fun to pee!

I started indoor cycling after two weeks and running and outdoor cycling after four weeks (I am a triathlete). Before the procedure, when I would run I would pee blood after due to the spiky bladder stones bouncing around in my bladder. I had pinkish pee for a few weeks after the procedure (and passed scabs/chunks as well). Pee now normal color including post-run.

Sex life is excellent, in fact, I now have more ejaculate than before the procedure although nowhere near as much as when I was in my 20s.

Only issue is that I still sometimes get a rather urgent urge to pee but it seems this lessens each week. I believe this is due to bladder muscle damage slower reversing. Anyone else experience this?

I put off dealing with my enlarged prostate for years and wish I had done this much earlier.

Best wishes for your recovery. Note I am 64.

Bill

• Posted

Kurt,

Did your doctor purposely do an ejaculation sparing Button Turp ? Did you request an ejaculation sparing procedure ? Can I inquire who the doctor was and where you had it done ?

Thomas

• Posted

I didn't make any special request regarding preserving semen volume as I had gotten used to very little ejaculate in recent years and, at 64, I'm done fathering children. I did say "don't do anything that will restrict sexual function!" I was surprised to see ejaculate volume increase modestly but noticeably.

My doctor did use a loop to trim the part of the prostate protruding into my bladder but used the button TURP for the rest of the procedure.

Bill

• Posted

Joe,

The post surgical symptoms you describe are more common with monopolar TURP than bipolar or plasma button TURP. Are you absolutely sure this was a bipolar TURP? The bipolar procedure uses a cutting loop to trim the prostate tissue then switches to a plasma button tip to cauterize the bleeding. Recovery is very fast. I am just baffled by your stay of 4 days in the hospital, when I was only there for 4 hours.

At least things are improving now, good news.

Tom

• Posted

absolutely was a bi polar turp. My doctor was Joh Harb in Livonia MI. He believes the stay was longer because of the lack of flushing by the first nurse I had filling the surgery. He flushed the clots on Mon himself and I was home the next day. He also told me I wont any sexual problems with the exception re possibly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.