Bipolar type 2 and venlafaxine

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi I have suffered from depression since I was 12 im now 32 had numerous antidepressants over the years which have worked to a certain extent or not worked at all I recently was told by the gp he suspects bipolar type 2 and thats why my symptoms have been getting worse he has reffered me for further investigation I had been put on 75mg of Venlafaxine and I took my first one about 5:30 by 8 o'clock I started getting agitated anxious my pupils were huge I couldn't keep still I felt like I was on speed it wasnt any different to how i used to feel apart from it was a little more enhanced I was like this for 4 days no sleep didn't eat full of energy it was brilliant on the 5th day I again got agitated snappy argumentative stormed to my bedroom cried myself to sleep slept from 7 till 10 the next day when I woke I couldn't move my whole body ached I slept that whole day I have had an increase 150mg I feel OK on them but I have little energy still low mood at times but it's only been on them 3 weeks how long does it take for them to actually work and has anyone else experienced what I have on them and I am doubting it's bipolar .T.I.A

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Linzi, I apologise I can't help you! But perhaps you would be kind enough to answer me this...what exactly about your symptoms made the gp think it's type 2, and why do you think it isn't?

I'm 41, have struggled with anxiety/depression all my life, don't seem to respond to anti-depressants (apart from prozac when I was 21, which made me high as a kite and mirtazapine which again I think made me hypomanic), and have 'behaviours' which have made me wonder about bipolar. My daughter I suspect has more than just unipolar depression too.

best of luck with your own troubles!

• Posted

Hiya I've been suffering from a very young age but was only diagnosed when I was 12 with depression I was put on anti depressants which I thought worked because I was extremely happy and full of energy I was always fighting and drinking I'd go missing for days I was going to night clubs up until I got pregnant at 17 I was in a abusive relationship which sent me crazy paranoid for 2 years I done some very strange things then my depression came back with a vengeance I wanted to commit suicide I was reffered to the crisis team and was put on diazipan and a different antidepressant which again made me the same as before full of confidance energy I was always out drinking taking cocain meeting lads etc I met my partner I'm with now and it was great for a year then my mam passed away i had my meds changed but they turned me into a emotionless zombi my partner didnt like me on them so i was changed onto sertraline and it was again back to crazy person cheating full of self confidance drinking all time fell pregnant again i had a period were i felt normal and moments of clarity but it was very short lived but to me that felt weird and i new something wasnt right and i went back to doctor he gave me fluoxetine which worked a little bit but not enough to pull me out of the hole I was in and over the months it deteriorated got worse i got agitated snappy agressive and suicidal I was referred back to the crisis team and put on venlafaxine which put me into hypomania for 4 days

Those symptoms were euphoric lack of sleep full of energy and could run a marathon it was like those days I took cocain but it was short lived I crashed really badly now I'm waiting for my appointment with psychiatrist for further investigation

• Posted

Hey Linzi, thanks for your reply - wow, you have had a rollercoaster! I can identify with the abusive relationship and getting pregnant young (I was older than you were though) but my moods swings and recklessness don't reach as far! Maybe I am reading too much into my moods etc. Well anyway, thanks again and I hope that you get on the right meds for you. Best of luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.