Bipolar vaporization over Green Light...what I learned

Posted , 13 users are following.

After my cystoscopy yesterday, I met with my urologist-surgeon to talk over options.

I'd told him I was seeking out the Green Light laser treatment and he said that was fine, he could send me to someone for that, but that the surgery he performs, the bipolar vaporization was going to give me the same results with the boon that there is way less post-bleeding complications related to bipolar vaporization.

I told him I'd heard such rave reviews about Green Light and he said a lot of that is heavy promotional efforts on the part of the Green Light manufacturer. But, again, he'd send me to someone for that if I felt it was a big difference.

In the end I decided to go let him perform the surgery as I didn't have a sense that he was BS-ing me or trying to sell me something I didn't want.

He said I could do either spinal or general anesthesia and I think I want to just be knocked out rather than partially awake and observing things.

The only bad news for me was that he said I would have RE due to the major obstruction in my prostate involving the bladder neck in my bladder. I'm not thrilled about that, but if that is the trade off for constant cath-ing, well, so be it.

Any thoughts from you guys here about my decision?

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

"Bipolar Vaporization" Do you mean Button Plasma Turp? Personally, I think button turp is better - it does a cleaner job more precise job.. Green Light seems messy to me. Just look up videos on YouTube showing these procedures being done on real men.

Forget regular Turp.. IMO, I believe it's barbaric, non-precise, messy, and could create too big a channel which may lead to urinary incontinence. Only my opinion of course.

Aquablation would be a fine choice, but it's expensive and not covered by insurance yet.

A good button turp surgeon may also be able to avoid the ejac ducts to a certain degree, so retro ejac risk could be lesser with the button.

• Posted

I was hoping for that too, the avoidance of RE, but he told me the main problem with my prostate is how much it is compromising the bladder neck, and apparently that area is the zone that has the ejac ducts.

• Posted

David

Please read up more on it please. That is not really true The ejaculatory duct are down further more in the center of the prostate. If he touches the bladder neck it will not close right that is why you would get retroClose to the bladder neck are the seminal canal. With the bladder neck open the ejaculation goes to the nearest opening. So it will go up instead of down.

Please don't give up...........Ken

• Posted

This is actually true Ken. After ejac, the sperm will take the path of least resistance which is also why a-blockers cause retro. When bladder neck of ultra relaxed, it won't provide as much resistance, and would be prone to be more open.

• Posted

Heavy promotional efforts are hardly needed on a procedure that has been around for more than 15 years and has been well written up. Why did you not consider Holep ?

I had no post op bleeding after GL and only few blood clots as it seals off blood vessels.

• Posted

I would look into Rezum. It's less invasive than the other things you're considering, doesn't require anesthesia and rarely causes side effects. RE only happens about 10 % of the time. And it usually works just as well as Greenlight - and if by chance it doesn't, you can always have something more invasive done.

• Posted

I'm considering Rezum, but only after I get complete urodynamic testing and/or Uro is 100% sure my prostate is the culprit causing obstruction, and not PBNO.

• Posted

My original urologist also recommended a bipolar TURP for me as well. Why? BECAUSE THAT'S ALL HE DOES! However, I did NOT get the TURP done. I didn't want the RE or the long recovery period, etc.After a lot of research, I ended up with a Rezum procedure in January 2018. You owe it to yourself to find the nearest location where the Rezum procedure is done and at least talk to them about it. Everyone on this forum has an opinion about what the best procedure is, but if you do the due diligence in researching the options, I believe that you will find that the Rezum procedure is, for most men, the most logical first procedure to have done. As oldbuzzard mentioned, you can always have a more invasive procedure done later (although it's extremely unlikely that you will need another one).

• Posted

Hey Ken

That is very good advice. Men need to give there self options. Start out with a less invasive procedure

Take care..........The other Ken

• Posted

Hello Buddy

Well I tried to find some information on this procedure and there is not much. But I did find out that they feel that it may be better because of the less bleeding and also they found out that it does cost less to do it However long term fellow up and more randomized trails are needed to validate the value of the Bipolar Vaporization.

I read your last part and I can feel that you are not happy ( He said I will have RE ) There have been to many men on here that the doctor either cuts or laser the bladder neck and end up wearing pads or diapers. And with the RE Issue you should not have to settle for anything. He should be able to take care of the prostate blockage and leave the bladder neck alone. Removing the prostate tissue will relieve the bladder neck.

Now if I were you I would go talk with another Urologist that he does not know. Go and see what the doctor will say about The Green Light Laser. There are a lot of trails and article that this procedure has done great and retro is only at a 65%. Better if your doctor is good.

To me it also seam like he was pushing his procedure just like he said that the GL people are doing. But he must be a good sale men because you went for it.

Please don't rush because once it's done it done and you will have to live with the outcome not the doctor

Take care and good luck............Ken

• Posted

I have a meeting with the Green Light doctor next week, just to hear his take on things.

• Posted

David

I think that is a good Idea. When it come right down to it they are both the same. When you go ask questions

Good Luck.............Ken

• Posted

have you considered the reZUM PROCEDURE?

• Posted

My insurance will not cover Rezum...and I do not have those kind of funds for it.

• Posted

Try appealing it - or if you can, wait. Rezum will probably be covered by almost everyone before too long.

But an appeal is definitely worth a

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.