Birth control causes odor!

Posted , 2 users are following.

My story -

I am 28 years old, I have suffered with vaginal odor since I was 14. I started taking birth control (mini pill) when I was 21. Up until I was about 24 I used scented soaps and gels to wash. I also wore underwear. I had a fishy odor, watery (sometimes sticky) discharge that would vary throughout the month. I would say the odor was at its worst after a full day at work or after sex. I had been tested for BV, thrush and all STI's lots of times. Always negative. I begged my doctor to give me antibiotics because they worked, even if only for a few weeks.

Around 4 weeks ago I decided I had enough. enough of the paranoia every time I went outside of the house. Whenever somebody coughed, sniffed, opened a window or walked away from me I would think it was because I stank. Enough of going to the bathroom and checking the smell wasn't there. Having to wash at work if it was, even though I had showered just a few hours ago. I decided to go to the clinic and get tested again. And if they said everything was fine, I wasn't accepting it. So... doctor tested for BV - negative. thrush - negative. every STI - negative as expected. I then told the doc something had to be wrong because it isn't normal to smell like fish. She said that it was possibly my birth control. Something I had never considered.

9 days ago I stopped taking it. By day 3/4, the odor was nearly gone. At the moment, I have more of an onion smell (putting it down to the curry I ate on Friday) I don't wanna jinx it, and I will post again if it was a coincidence, but no smell! I just wanted to share this because no body ever warned me that these pills can alter your PH.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.