Birth control for peri

Posted , 6 users are following.

So... back in November I started birth control for symptom help. The doc insisted I stay on it for at least 3 cycles before I give up. Well it has been 4 and some symptoms could be considered better but many have not improved. Fatigue for example. Also... I feel even more anxious wonderng why all is not better since the pill is aupposed to help peri. So now I think it must be not connected to peri and might be something bad.

In addition I often feel nauseous but still eat. I am not sure what to think. Everywhere I read it says that there is rarely problems and they go away after the first few months. Internet almost calls birth control a magic pill which is not what I feelsad Any experience with that?

I still have mood swings, some random numbness, IBS and lower belly pain sometimes. Fatigue is a big one toosad Some things have gotten a bit better but not enough.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Notsure,

I know for me the pill gave me anxiety. I had to stop it. I was in the ER with chest pains so I know that it can contribute to already existing anxiety.

• Posted

Anxiety is a tough thing to deal with. I cannot even tell what really triggers mine. Did other symptoms improve for you with the pill?
    • Posted

I didn't stay on it long enough to find out. As soon as I started having the anxiety, I got off of it.

• Posted

Hello

What pill are you on? I was recommended merina coil which they tried to fit last week, they couldn't do it so the idea is now for me to try the mini pill to stop my cycle completely. I have heard so many horror stories about this pill but then you get the odd success story so I'm hoping that will be me. I too have the bad ibs, depression, pain, hot flushes, nausea and seem to now always have spots so I'm hoping it works and not makes all that worse. Have you experienced weight gain?

C x

• Posted

I am on estradiol-fe tab. I still have a week with light spotting. I am not sure what is going on. I do really hope it works for you. I have not experience any noticable weight gain. I don't ever weigh myself but I have not noticed a difference. Try it. I was hoping so much this will prove to me that it is all because of hormones and now I am not so sure anymoresad

• Posted

They want me to go for cerezette rather than combined, maybe you should switch, they do say to try a few until you get one that suits? X
  • Posted

Notsure, it took 3 different pills for me to try until the right one worked for my body. But my doctor was on top of my symptoms, she basically gave it a month before we went on to try another one. However, she made me wait for the end of my cycle before starting a new pill to get the last one out of my system. Do go back to your gyne and ask for a different pill.
    • Posted

I remember you from another discussion about this. I do need reassurance sometimes. What you are saying gives me hope that maybe it is just not the right pill. I am a bit scared as I mentioned in the other comment, to explain symptoms and go through new ones. But it could be worth it I guess. The ones I take now are low dose hormones said the doc. I need to check another kind. I guess with hormones it is not an exact science.

Thank u!

• Posted

I'm not a big fan of the pill, but it sounds like this one doesn't fit well with your body's chemistry.  There are dozens of pills on the market for a reason. They each have their own chemical makeup.  Some have a higher, or lower estrogen/progesterone content.  Some of the synthetic progesterones (progestins) have a high or lower testosterone activity.  So sometimes it's finding the right pill for you that more closely matches your makeup.  

Having said that, I never did well on the pill.  They just aren't right for some women.   

• Posted

Forgot to mention that the nausea feeling is often created by too much estrogen.  Even a estrogen patch can cause that feeling.  
    • Posted

Thanks! Ur words help me. I will approach my doc again and ask. I am a bit worried about explaining my symptoms again but I will try. It makes sense what you are saying. I have only one ovary and no thyroid. Juggling those hormones is so hard. I am never sure what triggers what symptoms. I know that anxiety definitely gives me physical symptoms.

Thanks!

• Posted

You only have one ovary TOO? I had to have my right ovary removed because there was a torsion to it and it hemorrhaged. This was years ago before I even had kids. I started having meno symptoms almost immediately after that. Then the symptoms started coming full on after my second child. I always attribute how severe my symptoms are to the fact that I had that surgery.
    • Posted

OMG! Yup.... same .... torsion- very painful. All years ago before I had my kids. I thought my peri started early but I was told removing one ovary should not affect me too much! Little did I know. Well before that I had my thyroid out so I cannot point where exactly it all started:///
  • Posted

Interesting you posted now, I am on week 11 of a bleed or it might even be 12 now and the GP has given me Microgynon which I used to take and told me to take it for 3 months if only to give myself a break. I am going to take 7 days worth and hope it stops the bleeding 
    • Posted

I do hope they work for u. They usually work well with controlling bleeding. I hope u find relief fast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.