Birth control pill side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear all,

I wish to know if you have been taking birth control pills on long term basis and what kind of side effects you have experienced. I am particularly interested to know if you have had problems with breathing or breathlessness while taking the pill and whether your doctor has advised you to switch pills or do something to prevent the possible formation of blood clots while taking the pill. 

Your views on this will be helpful as I am currently on a birth control pill which my doctor has asked me to take until i decide to marry and have kids but i am not too happy with the possible side effects and I think I am having episodes of breathlessness as well since being on the pill.

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have been taken the contraceptive pill through since 2009. I have never experienced breathless. The only thing I have noticed is that I have gained weight which is one of the side effects of the pill I am on.

Hope this helps

Hayley

• Posted

Thanks Hayley. I hope you have been able to manage well despite the weight gain effect. My Dr asked me if any of my parents have some illnesses to which I responded that they have diabetes and blood pressure but some of my relatives did have heart attacks and breast cancer and I am a little worried if their history will influence the effects of taking the birth control pill for me since there is a possibility for blood clot formation as well. 
    • Posted

The weight gain could be less but unfortunately it is what it is. I have high blood pressure and heart attacks in the family. I have been on the contraceptive pill for nearly 21 years and having been taking through for 8 years. I do worry that it might be having a negative effect on my body but when I go to see the nurse for a repeat prescription i do discuss how I feel. The only way is to try & see how you feel & if you are worried keep checking in with your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.