Birth control pills and odor

Posted , 4 users are following.

i've been suffering with symptoms of BV for over 10 years. However, whenever I am tested for it, it comes back negative. My main symptom is the awful fishy smell. (sometimes really bad, other times mild). I have been given metronidazole in the past which has cleared things for a few weeks. I do everything they say to do -

wipe front to back (who doesn't?)

use only water to wash

I stopped wearing underwear

I have tried nearly everything, including over the counter gels and probiotics, which work but only temporarily.

My question is, recently I had more tests and so far, clear for BV, Thrush, Trich and smear was fine. The doctor said that it's possible my contraceptive is causing it. I take the mini-pill and have done for 6-7 years. I suffered with this before I started the pill, however I was doing things wrong back then. (Using scented shower gels to wash, wearing thick underwear etc). I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience and it was caused by birth control? I really want to stop taking it, but if it doesn't work I'm going to be even more depressed. Anyone?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi amelia! im in the same boat as you and jm starting to think its the bc too

• Posted

hi nicole, have you been diagnosed with BV ? I've never been diagnosed. which birth control do you take?

• Posted

i stopped my birth control and its been ok for 3 months and now the smell is back i literally give up!

• Posted

hi kerry,

the smell also returned with me but it was a lot milder. I have started taking probiotics again, orally this time, and this seems to be stopping the smell. I am about 3 days in, taking 2 capsules a day

• Posted

thankyou seemed to come back week after my period then stopped again which probiotics do you take?xx

• Posted

Birth control pills can change the pH balance of your vagina and make you more prone to Bacterial Vaginosis. So, it is important to treat your BV and maintain your vaginal health. If you are prone to BV while taking birth control, it is likely this will improve after you have been on it for a while when your body has had a chance to adjust to the hormones. There are some ways you can try and prevent the infection:

• Consume More Probiotics

• Wear Cotton Underwear

• Don’t use Scented Feminine Hygiene Products And Soaps

• Do not Douche

• Sleep More

• Eat A Healthy Diet

If you continue to suffer from BV while on birth control pills, you can also consider switching to a birth control that doesn’t contain estrogen. Some estrogen-free options include:

• Progestin-Only “Mini” Pills

• Mirena or Sykla IUD (Progestin Only)

• Paragard IUD (Completely hormone free)

• Nexplanon Implant (Progestin Only)

• Posted

i went to gp and asked if she could do a swab test they said with the new guidelines swab tests are not accurate so they will only prescribe antibiotics now if you have symptoms!xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.