Bisacodyl alternative

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Basically I was struggling with constipation for about two weeks so I started to take som Movicol which caused loose thin stools. I went to see the nurse at the Gp's and she has said to take bisacodyl instead because she said that the movicol may be causing 'overflow' but leaving some hard stool still in there. I stupidly read some reviews on the bisacodyl which have scared me to death and was wondering if I could use senna as an alternative? I'm not even positive that what I've been passing is 'overflow' or if something is still stick but I've been passing loose flat stool again this morning and feel bloated under my ribs. Any advice would be appreciated!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My daughter has had a similar problem and has been given picalac ...a complete flush out before using movicol...I know it helped me to reset the bowel... improved things tremendously
    • Posted

Thanks Brian - it's looking lik I'm going to have to take the ducolax tonight which is what I didn't want to try really. If it doesn't help I will speak to the docs and ask about the picalac though if it works. I'm just worried about bad stomach cramps...I've read some ducolax reviews that say it causes them so I ideally didn't want to try it!

• Posted

To be honest, for 24hours it is a little discomforting-but it really worked for me-doc said that it helped realign everything and I had little trouble after
    • Posted

That's great!! Thank you again for replying to me.

• Posted

How much Movicolare you taking? I try to manage with 1/2 sachet and in my diet use veg and soaked ground linseeds to add bulk, mostly this evens out softness Movicol can casue but i do have to use senna tea about once a week.

Picolax is very viscious - stay away is my advice!

take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.