Biso for sinus tac

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a naturally fast heart rate and was advised to take bisoprolol (my resting was 98). I was prescribed 2.5 mg then went to 1.25mg because of weight gain and back to 2.5 mg when my pulse didn’t slow down enough. Recently I was prescribed 5mg which brought me down to 73bpm for a short while but now I’m at 80bpm. Is this because I’m exercising?

I’ve gained 20 lbs since I started this medication. The first 10 was within a month. I was told this medication typically causes 3-4 lbs and my 20 is not because of the meds. Anyone else experience this? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes I have also put on weight since being put on 2.5mg Bisoprolol 4 years ago for AFib, I've put on about 14lbs, I have been trying to lose it again but not having much luck, I know of others who have also put on quite a bit of weight on this medication so it's not just you.

• Posted

If I were to come off of this medication, would the weight just melt off if I were to exercise and try to lose it? 
  • Posted

Yea it's the medication, your adrenaline helps you lose weight so when its blocked it's harder to lose it, plus your heart beating slower doesn't help with losing the weight either. Even with exercise you won't see much of a difference in lost weight it's pretty tough to lose it and your energy levels are decreased as well.

• Posted

Ive heard of other treatments that can reset the speed of your heart (vagal maneuver, cardioaversion, ablation). I have an appointment in two weeks with an electrophsiologist. I’m hoping to be able to stop taking medication. As mention before my fast rate is because my heart is just naturally fast so I don’t know if I’d be able to tap into these therapies 
  • Posted

I have been on 2.5mg Bisoprolol for more than 10 years so maybe my body has adjusted to it already, but I have not experienced much gain so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.