Bisop

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have atrial fibrillation and take bisop (2.5 mg) daily.  I have been taking this for some years.  Do I keep taking it indefinitely?

I also have diabetes (type 2) but take no medicine for it. I seed I should take special care, what does this mean?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well, it depends on a lot of things really.  Are you in permanent AF or paroxysmal type - how fast is your pulse, ie does it really need slowing.  And of course, the major question - how well do you tolerate the Bisoprolol?  Does it make you constantly fatigued etc as you can read loads about on these sites.  Sounds as if you need to see your GP and have a thorough drugs review and put these questions to him/her and see what the reaction is to your coming off the drug.  A piece of advice is to buy yourself a wrist blood pressure monitor where you can check your heart rate (and BP of course) and keep an eye on the rate if you discontinue.

I came off Bisprolol at my own insistence about six months ago, as it made me weary all the time and have been fine since, though I do monitor my rate and would perhaps be obliged to try an alternative if the need arose.  So far, so good.  My husband, also AF, does take 2.5 Bisoprolol and has no side effects, but is questioning whether he needs to take it indefinitely.  He is going to ask his GP for a trial without it, but will self monitor his rate carefully during that period.

These are just suggestions, as regards the diabetes, I have no knowledge about this but it sounds as if it is a dietary thing.   I presume you are on Warfarin or dabigatran and unless you have an ablation or other cure for AF, then you have to take an anticoagulant for life.

• Posted

Dear Josephine,

Many thanks for your excellent reply to me.

·       I am 74 and have no AF symptoms, so presumably have permanent AF.

·       My pulse (Jan 2015) was 82.

·       Bisoprolol has no discernible effects on me.

·       A consultant put me on bisoprolol fumarate  (Cordicor, Bisop), and told me I need never see him again.  I will follow your advice and discuss all my meds with my GP.

·       I do not use Warfarin, my anticoagulant is Xarelto (Rivaroxaban).

• Posted

Can only add a little to Josephine's excellent resonse,

suggest you monitor your BP and pulse morning,middat and night (3 readings on each occasion over 5 minute period)

Armed with this info then seek advice from GP.

I did/do the same prior to any cardiac consultation as the Consultant/GP can only advise based on what he sees at the time and a one off BP and pulse is usually a waste of time especially if you suffer from white coat syndrome or have rushed to meet the appointment time

I am similar age and have similar AF for which I take dogoxin to control the pulse rate which it does and bisop to assist and for BP

• Posted

Billhopefull,

many thanks.  I agree previous reply was excellent.

I monitor health more rarely.

Recent values were:

Jan 2013: Height 181.5, Weight 85.2, BMI 25.8

Jan 2014: Height 179 cm, Weight 86, Waist 97, BMI 26.84, Blood Pressure 122/85, Pulse 96

Feb 2014, Height 179 cm, Weight 83 kg, Waist 92.7 cm, BMI 26, Blood Pressure 111/86, Pulse 96

Jan 2015: Height 179 cm, Weight 85 kg, Waist  101 cm, BMI 26.5, Blood Pressure 137/92, Pulse 82

Incidentally I was advised not to take BP readings immediately after a previous one.

• Posted

Hi

I have been on Bisoprolol for about 9/10 months or so like you my consultant told me I need not see him again unless things change.  - I still have the occasional episode so guess I am far from discontinuing medication.  Certainly GP etc has told me it is long term.  I have bought myself a BP monitor (not too expensive!) and keep a eye on BP pulse etc.  Yes I agree with previous post - definitely go back to GP and get reviewed - I had to have Bisoprolol increased.  I do feel tired but for me the upside is the episodes are not as distressing as they were and not as numerous.

• Posted

Sylvester13,

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate all the replies I have received.

Our experiences agree.  I wish you  good health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.