Bisoprol effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Am on Bisoprol 1.25mg for very fast heart rate but l hate the side effects am having. Stuffed nose, flushing depression and a sense of doom. Don't want to do anything or go anywhere. I am trying to cut back bit by bit by taking a little off the tablet every morning. Also am now going to try to have a half in a morning and half at night. Only thing is when l do this my heart rate goes up and up so makes me feel more miserable. Is there anyone out there can point me in the right direction as to which betta blocker l could ask my Doc for. One that keeps my heart rate on an even keel but hasn't the horrible side effects to go with it? I hope someone can help because l am so fed up with myself feeling ill all the time. It's no way to live your life.

Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Christine, how long have you been on these meds? Are these the only side effects you are having?
    • Posted

Hi Annie

I ha e been on Bisoprol since early February and am also on Amlodopine and Canderstartin for high blood pressure.

Other side effects are gritty eyes really.

Christine.

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Both my wife and I have been on Bisopropol, we were both not suited to it and all its effects.

My wife is now on Attenolol 50mg And Ramipril 5mg, I am on Attenolol 50mg, Ramipril 75mg and Doxazosin 4 x 4mg daily all for high blood pressure.

None of the above have caused us any side effects.

In the last 5 years I have only found one person that was not affected by Bisopropol.

As I have previously said it all depends on what you have wrong with you and also what other medication you are taking.

• Posted

Sorry, I hate predictive text. My meds should read Atenolol 75 mg & Ramipril 10 mg & not as shown above.

Good luck Ken.

• Posted

Hi Ken

Thanks for reply. Am ok l think on the blood pressure meds but it's the Bisoprol that gets me. I have to take something to slow my heart rate down but what, that is the question? Do you know of any drugs that actually do that job...apart from the dreaded Bisoprol that is.?

I wish you and your wife well.

Christine.

• Posted

Hi, Christine, i was not on Biso, tho had been offered it, (some hospitals seem to prescribe this in preference to other bbs) , then I was put on one seen as similar. Felt much as you described and breathless, digestive problems, increases in allergies, etc  (all on the PIL, as it turned out) , and  after just approx 4 months had become seriously miserable, could do nothing.   As to getting off, as Mike says, be very careful, even weaning off, even if you are ok'd to get off, as i was, could have horrible effects. For months.  So if you need something, maybe you would need discuss trying one of the others mentioned here. Hope things work out

• Posted

christine 20029...First of all, NEVER wean yourself off any medication without your Dr's permission. 

There are certainly other beta blockers out there, i.e. Atenolol & Metrpolol.

I take 50mg Atenolol/daily along with other meds, & I can honestly say that I don't seem to have any side effects.

Get on the phone with your Dr., & set an appt. to go see him.There isn't anything more miserable than being sick from medication that's supposed to make us feel better.

• Posted

Thanks Mike for your reply. Does Atonol slow the heart rate down as that is what l need? I have been to the Doc's to explain that I'm having awful side effects but she just doesn't seem to get it that it is the drug and not all in my mind. Because the cardiologist put me on Bisoprolpl she seems loathe to change things. Am just so fed up with feeling miserable.

• Posted

christine 20029...Yes, Atenolol slows the heart rate, & reduces its workload.

You could start at 25mg & if results at that level aren't completely satisfactory,it can be upped to 50mg or whatever. 

A few years back, I was taking Metropolol (another beta blocker), but I had TERRIBLE headaches while on it. The headaches were so bad, it frightened me. With Atenolol, I don't have this problem at all. 

If I were you, I'd now be insisting the meds be changed. You've told the Dr. how you are feeling...you feel dreadful, & it's not all in your mind.

Let us know how you get on with this.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the advice. It's very helpful and reassuring to k ow others are going through similar problems with their meds.

I will certainly ask my Doc to change the betta blocker for Atenolol and see what she has to say about that. No doubt I'll be made to look like a mithering complainer who thinks l know better than her. But I'll stand my guns this time. So thank you for giving me the backbone l needed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.