bisoprolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

at the doctors on monday thinking of coming off this bisoprolo what other beta blockers are they please

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm on Ramipril which I much prefer as I don't get the ghastly side effects I got with bisoprolol (apart from a dry mouth) but that seems to be subsiding after a few weeks use.

• Posted

Ramipril is not a Beta blocker but ACE inhibitor.

Most used Beta blockers are Bisoprolol, Atenolol, Metoprolol, Propranolol, Nebivolol etc

• Posted

I was prescribed bisoprolol and rampril when diagnosed with a fib.i was takingthese meds for about 5 years. I had loads of side effects but when I asked my doc I was told that the trouble I was having was not from the meds! I then thought my probs were from the a fib! After reading posts on here, I eventually found a gp who would change the bisoprolol....he did...to atenolol. Same problem...side effects were a nightmare. Since then I'm off the beta blockers and have had the rampril reduced to 2.5 mgs. The rampril is to reduce blood pressure, not a beta blocker. I had a bad time whilst withdrawing from the bisoprolol..about 6 months when I would occasionally be dizzy, have anxiety and palps to mention just a few. 

I read that if you have problems with one beta blocker then it's likely to have the same effect with any of the others! Don't know if that's true. Also betablockers work for many people and have no side effects from them. In my case, they didn't reduce the heart rate and gave me a whole pile of trouble. You have to follow the gp treatment,but don't be afraid to ask  and question your meds! I was far too complacent,but then I trusted my gp and hadn't researched the condition.

Hope this helps Jane. I was wondering why you wanted to change to another beta blocker. Maybe you have some of the problems I had with bisoprolol and latterly atenolol. Take care.

• Posted

hi elizabeth yes lots of side effects with this bisoprolol.so thought i might talk to gp on monday see what she says.
    • Posted

1. some people don't have any problems on any Beta blocker

2. some people have problems on every single Beta blocker since they are quite similar at the end of the day (I tried Bisoprolol, Nebivolol, Metoprolol and Atenolol. Basically, they are all quite similar, even though each of them has it's own specific side effects, or some side effects are stronger on some Beta blockers).

3. on the other hand, I have seen a lot of posts where people say that for example they didn't have problems on Atenolol, but they had problems on Bisoprolol. 

Bisoprolol is known as probably the strongest Beta blocker.

So, for some people milder Beta blockers like Atenolol or the newest one Nebivolol, may cause less side effects and still prevent them from heart problem episodes.

• Posted

This post is very helpful to everyone needing reassurance and information. 
  • Posted

Hi Jane, I had bisoprolol for 7 years, it kept my a.fib at bay, I did put on a stone, even tho the GP said it wasn't the cause!  Then it stopped working so well and I ended up in A & E 3 times in consecutive months, so my GP changed it to Sotalol, which I'm getting on well with, and I've lost that extra stone!  I don't seem to have the exhaustion I had with bisoprolol, so Its well worth asking for a change.  Good luck, I'm sure you'll get the best one for you in the end.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.