Bisoprolol and angina

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I am a 48yo, male on 2.5 bisoprolol (Concor) for 4 months now for aortic root dilation and aortic regurgitation. Since the beginning, I have had sensations similar to those mentioned by you all in this forum. However, nobody seemed to have noted that these symptoms are angina (lack of oxygen rich blood flow to the heart). To deduct logically, your heart, already inefficient with problems like stenosis or regurgitation is given a medication which further reduces the strength of blood flow and lowers the pace, right?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Who knows what the reasoning is of some doctors?  On the face of it, I would tend to agree that a drug which slows the pulse is not going to help those with reduced heart function, although my husband takes it for blood pressure I think (with no ill effects).  On the other hand, I have had an AV node ablation and pacemaker and was recommended afterwards to return to Bisoprolol which I declined to do since I suffered most if not all of the symptoms complained of here by others.  I note on studying the effects of the procedure I had, that reduced energy and slowing of pulse which the pacemaker maintains at normal artificially, is a definite outcome.  So maybe I made the right decision from instinct?  Doctors don't always agree on treatments.

• Posted

Thx for reply, josephine. Yes, doctors have varying opinions, as well as motives. I have noticed that the patients on this forum tend to be put on bisopropol for murmers, fast pulse, blood pressure, and other than stenosos and regurgitation. This makes sense.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.