Bisoprolol and blood pressure

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hope I'm not boring you to tears with more on this subject.  I have noticed a clear pattern to my blood pressure issues.

Wake up in the morning .  BP always nice and low.  Take 5mg ramipril.  BP good all day.  At around 6pm every evening, I get feelings of anxiety like I have never before  experienced.  This is when my blood pressure shoots up high and also the time I take my 1.25 of bisoprolol. 

Do you think my anxiety and high readings directly relates to bisoprolol?   My pulse rate is always low so I don't need biso for that.  Beginning to think I am suffering from biso withdrawal before I take my 6pm tablet. After taking the biso, my anxiety dissipates but bp high all eve.  Seeing GP today but always value your views and experience.  Thanks gang!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have very similar feelings.

To recap I take digoxin first thing in the morning to help control pulse rate which it does. Its half life is 6 hours so take 1.25 bisop at 14:00, 18:00 and 22:00 as bisop half life is 2 hours.

If I miss taking bisop I become more hyper and pulse bp increase. Not certain if psychosomatic/ blood-brain barrier or medical.

Might I ask how long you have been taking rampiril and whether you have noticed any improvement in your health.

I ask as mu GP says I wont notice any difference by taking it but advised me to do so. Needless to say I haven't.  it has a half life 8-10 hours. 

• Posted

I've been taking Ramipril since May.  Initially 2.5mg which was increased to 5mg a couple of weeks ago.  I was put on it as a precaution after a small heart attack. I had no history of blood pressure problems. I'm not aware of any side effects and I generally feel fine on it.  My problem lies with bisoprolol.  Is digoxin a beta blocker?  For me, I'm pretty sure that the hyper feelings are medical.  They pass once I take the next bisoprolol. GP doesn't agree!  I will continue in my response to  Glitzy.   Thanks for writing.
  • Posted

Hi Alexandra sorry to hear your suffering from anxiety feelings its been about 6 weeks now since I came off Bisropolol and I can gladly say I no longer have feelings of anxiety I know how you feel it's a horrible. I am no longer out of breath or any heavy feelings in my arms and legs and just that dreaded feeling of doom which I had every day whilst taking that drug. My blood pressure and everything seems to be fine. My consultant took me off Bisropolol and put me on a small dose of Dixogin.  Have a word with your doctor see if there is anything else you can take. I hope all the Buddies are well hope to speak to Bernadette soon if she's back off her holidays. I think a nice holiday in the sun would cheer us all up take care hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Glitzy. Anxiety. Doom and the rest.  You sum it up perfectly. I felt a new person when I came off Biso for 2 weeks.  Consultant took me off   it.  GP put me back on it when BP rose.  He doubled Ramipril at the same time.  Just seen my GP.  He wants me to stay on same meds for the next 2 weeks and keep a BP chart.  I've never had a time when I was on 5mg ramipril and no biso.  Wondering whether to try this while monitoring my bp closely.  GP says biso not causing anxiety. I know it is.  It comes on the same time every day when I'm about to take the next biso.  The other irritating thing is that I was a big walker and the biso is slowing me down big time. Yes.  Horrible weather  A holiday in the sun would be great.  Does anyone else find it difficult to type on this website or is it my  keyboard?  Have a good evening.
  • Posted

Hi Alexandra - I am on the same medication as you except that I take Warfarin as well. My dosages are - Biso. 2.5mg, Ramipril 2.5mg, Warfarin alternate days 4mg/5mg. My blood presure went haywire like yours at various times for some reason and I think it was a Nurse at my GPs who told me to take the Biso in the morning and the Ramipril in the evening  which is the opposite to you. I found this helped as I had been a bit aphazard with the timing previously. I now take the Biso at 0900 hrs in the morning and the Ramipril at 2100hrs in the evening. I try to keep to these times as close as possible. Over time I found that my Blood pressure stabalised and is not as erratic as it was. From information I have been given it appears that Biso regulates your heart beat and Ramipril makes your heart pump more efficiently. Give it a try you have nothing to lose. Talk to your GP and see what he says. Good luck 
    • Posted

That's so interesting, Joiner.  Thanks for writing.  When I was in hospital in May and stuck on all these meds for the very first time, I was taking Biso in the morning and Ramipril in the evening.  Then my consultant said that I could stop taking the biso and 2 weeks later my blood pressure shot up.  Couldn't see my own GP so saw another in the practice who told me I should be taking Ramipril in the morning and doubled the dose to 5mg.  A few days later I saw my own GP who put me back on biso - just 1.25 and told me to take it at night as I was so lethargic when I took it in the morning.  GP has since told me to take ramipril mid afternoon as my bp is fine during the morning but high later on.  In other words - I've been driven crazy and maybe that's why my bp is so erratic!  I never gave timing too much thought (well, certainly timing relating to tablet taking although I did always like the lyrics of the song Good Timing!).When I look back, my bp was pretty stable on an evening Ramipril.  Could be that it went up just because I stopped taking the biso.

This forum is brilliant and really keeps one on ones toes.  You have given me considerable food for thought Joiner.  Thanks and good luck to you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.