Bisoprolol and Diarrhea as a side effect

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

?I started taking ??Bisoprolol around 3 weeks ago for a combination of high blood pressure and Atrial Flutter and I've managed with some of the normal side effects (tiredness and cold feet mainly). I've also cut my calorie intake during this time and am back in the gym (no idea if relevant but I'm telling everyone!)

?However over the last few days I've also started to suffer from loose stools/diarrhea (although not in the 'usual' way - I'm not rushing off to the toilet several times a day unable to hold it - once a day I have a sense I need to go and once I've ambled to my chosen location it occurs)

?I know that diarrhea is a side effect of Beta Blockers but I'm wondering if it's normal to take this long to present or if its unconnected?

?Thanks in advance

?Dave

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I was on Bisoprolol for 2 years and used to experience diarrhea now and then but it always stopped after a day or so.  I then discontinued it as I had anxiety issues and the doc put me on Propranolol, another beta blocker. After about 3 weeks on that I had diarrhea for nearly 4 weeks. I then went back on a lighter dose of Bisoprolol and the diarrhea stopped almost immediately. Probably by now you will have sorted it out one way or another (I hope so) 
  • Posted

Just increased to 2.5mg and having diarrhoea during the day. Hoping it's not an ongoing thing as every hypertension med i've tried causes this as soon as it starts to work, even though the mechanism of action is different

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.