Bisoprolol and diarrhoea?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi everyone, great forum and so helpful. I have leaky heart valves which will be operated on in a few months hopefully. The consultant put me on a strong water tablet for the cough due to fluid on the lungs because of the heart problem. Also gave me 2.5 Bisoprolol, Took both for 8 days and had worst attack of diverticulitis for 10 years! Stopped both, been ill for 3 weeks and lost a stone (not a good look!) 4 days ago started the Bisoprolol but at 1.25 and now have diarrhoea every morning!!!! Prefer it to the opposite but now attached to the loo and have my angiogram Thursday miles away at 9.30 a.m. Worried sick about how I'll manage on the journey and when I get there, I may have to leap off the table to head for the loo !!! Joking aside, does anyone else have the diarrhoea, no one has mentioned it. The tiredness is pretty bad but I was already weak so maybe that's partly the reason. Just hoping that this may improve when my body becomes used to it. Could of course be delayed effects from the diver, who knows??? Happy days and best wishes to all of you battling these awful side effects.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Linda

I have quite bad abdo pain late morning which is relieved by having Diarrhoea or lying down.I have stopped spironolactone thinking that caused the problem - I have serious heart failure but my abdo pain symptoms continue so I can understand how you feel.

• Posted

Hi Milly - I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. It's a hard decision to make having to decide whether to take the tablets which are good for your heart or to stop the tablets because they are causing so much discomfort. Maybe it's worth asking the doctor if he can prescribe a different tablet which may not cause the side effects. Thank you for your kind words, I send my best wishes to you and hope you soon feel better.
  • Posted

by the way Milly I had to stop the lower dose Bisoprolol too as I couldn't cope with the diarrhoea so now I'm not taking anything but my blood pressure tablet!!
  • Posted

Long time since anyone posted but anyway…

I empathise with you as I am a post operative Fallots patient waiting for a pulmonary valve replacement. my consultant put me on 2x1.25mg bisoprolol as my exercise ECG showed an elevated number of PVCs. Problem is the diarrhoea- as a child I had a few congenital abdominal abnormalities and the surgery to correct these means I can not feel when I need the toilet and to top it off the colon can not empty properly when I go to the toilet. To control the chronic constipation and incontinence this caused I had ace created- this is where I was the contents of my colon out with tap water. However due to the drug causing sloppupy contents I am completely incontinent again and she will not change it… PS I am at school trying to do my a levels whilst leaving to go to the toilet around every 20 mins at most.

• Posted

Oh dear, I am so very sorry you are having all these awful problems. Bad enough waiting for heart valve surgery but to have to put up with the colon problems must be so stressful. I am still waiting for my valve surgery and now have had diverticulosis symptoms for a week. Supposed to keep my weight up but can't eat with this - no answer really, the hospital drugs will give me constipation which may In turn lead to diver, so I dread that more than the surgery!!!! I think you should speak to the doctor again as you shouldn't have to put up with this. Thinking of you and hoping things will improve soon and the doctor will listen to you. All the best with your exams.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.