Bisoprolol and neuropathy and other side effects.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I posted on 'Bisoprolol and tendons' recently and had a reply from Toniallen who more correctly diagnosed my problem as being neuropathy rather than tendon related.

Two weeks on from my post and having stopped Bisoprolol the loss of balance has gone and the loss of feeling in my foot is gradually improving.

A recent search on bisoprolol and neuropathy brought up this artice 

http://doublecheckmd.com/EffectsDetail.do?dname=bisoprolol&sid=12431&eid=2089

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the article that was pasted in full here as it may breach other website's copyright and replaced it with the link to the page. Please do not paste whole articles in posts. You can add a link to it and this will be approved as long as it complies with rules for posting links. If it doesn't then links can be exchanged via the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I become quite "dumb" when Im on 2.5 mg all at once. I sway back and forth, and Im always unsure of month and day. Horrific, I hope I can stay on current dosage which is 0.5 mg a day.
    • Posted

I feel much better since stoping it but that has not helped the 'neuropathy' which is worsening. At the moment I'm waiting for results of tests from a neurlogist.
    • Posted

Derek

Have you tried Cardicor? it is still bisoproolol fumerate but the brand I have does not cause dizziness like a cheapo generic brand did after just one tablet. of the brand.

I refused to take the cheap brand on the grounds that no reasonable person could or should expect another Human Being to put something into their body that is detrimental.

Do Doctors run this website?

Jean x

• Posted

Hi

What other drugs have you or are you taking?

Have you ever been prescribed antibiotics even several years ago?

Jean

• Posted

The website is run by a company who do software for the medical profession.

It was Cardicor that I last had. I took it twice last week to see how it would affect me now that I have a pacemaker and was again dizzy and  unbalanced.

When I was having the pacemaker fitted one consultant was taking a patient off Diltiazem as it caues BP to drop too much and my one put me on it in place of Bisoprolol.!!

It helped bring my heart rate down but lowered my BP so much that I was about to pass out. My GP changed it from 180mg to 120mg and then to 90mg but still the same effect so I had to stop it.

• Posted

over the last fifteen years I have been on quite a few BP drugs and diuretics. And too many antibiotics for prostatitis and UTI's.  
  • Posted

Hi Derek

I have only just seen this e mail.

Thank you for the valuable information .

Please let me know how you are now as I have peripheral neuropathy and it is driving me mad.

I am taking cardicor 1.25 mgs once a day for Long QT syndrome however I blame the inappropriate prescribing of three antibiotics at the same time in Dec 2013 by an A and E doctor for an unproven infection.

I have been floxed.

Jean 

• Posted

Unfortunately nothing good to report. I still have the numbness as soon as I start walking outside and need to hang on to my wife’s hand or arm for support.

The blood tests for strange diseases all came back negative. The nerve conduction tests showed neuropathy but that can have many causes. The neurologist opted for Idiopathic Neuropathy rather a cop out. I am waiting for a back MRI scan that he evidently does not think will reveal anything but I do. I reason that as I now have some lower back pain and the numbness starts when walking that it is caused by pressure from my spine.    

Every now and then it also feels as if my heel ‘collapses’ and it causes me to sort of lurch backward. It seems that as we age the fat pads on our feet lose their protective fat. There are silicon heel pads on the market that I am going to order.

• Posted

Derek

Can you please, please PM me.

What you have been told sounds rather like a cop out.

I can send you my private e mail address. I need to give you some info.

Jean

• Posted

Dear Jean,

I believe I was "floxed" last year when I was given Cipro intravenously for a few days (along with Flagyl) for an acute attack of diverticulitis. After 3 days they had to call the on duty cardiologist and do an ECG as I had bad pains in my chest and pins and needles in my arms. They said the ECG was ok but strangely it was not included in my discharge dossier along with all my other test results (I live in France where you get given these things as a matter of course). But I remembered that the Cipro was withdrawn. At the time I did not connect the two things and it was only when my GP gave me Cipro this year for a UTI that I realised it was the other drug I had had in the hospital as within 2 hours of taking the first capsule I got some of the side effect symptoms I had suffered in the hospital including the Achilles tendon pain. I did not take any more after doing some research. After my discharge from the hospital and more than 72 hours after the withdrawal of the Cipro I had an attack of tachycardia that lasted several hours. I did not call the doctor so I have no idea if I was in AF. A week after taking the one capsule of Cipro a few weeks ago I had an attack of AF for which I was hospitalised. I a now on Bisoprolol and Préviscan ( an AVK). My GP is adamant that the AF could not have been caused by one capsule of Cipro taken a week earlier. I am not convinced. He did an ECG when I went to complain about how crap I felt on the Bisoprolol and said there was no sign of long QT. I am now going to try and get a copy of the ECG done in the hospital where I was treated for the diverticulitis. I suspect it will have gone "missing" as when I spoke to the gastro there to try and receive confirmation that it was Cipro I had she denied that I had had any antibiotic other than Flagyl. I am sure that this is a lie as my new gastro and my GP both say the Cipro / Flagyl treatment is standard here. Luckily here if you have good enough insurance you can choose your hospital.

• Posted

Hi I've been on bisoprolol 2.5 mg for few months  and amlodiapine which I stopped cause together I could not function I'm 43 and just found out I have wolf white Parkinson I've had side effects of this condition throughout my life but was brushed away on various occasions by Drs as anxiety and a lazy child until last year when I was feeling really ill and had routine blood pressure and both bp and hr was very high I was put on these tablets all I can say is I feel twice worse than not havin them think I resigned to getting used to symptoms before tablets lol now I have a constant tightness in my chest so tired and slow can't be bothered but I'm my husbands carer as well as a mother and wage earner I have to carry on the house gets left I see my consultant on Tuesday about ablation has all stress tests have shown its possible to still go high and preexicitation through out test puts me at high risk I'm actually relieved that finely a was not a lazy kid not imagining my heart pounding every day but I'm slightly scared of this next treatment has anyone had this treatment of ablation and it helped I don't want meds they don't agree with me at all thanks for letting me ramble on stayed silent to long I think suffered in silence. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.