Bisoprolol and ramipril

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please excuse me if I'm being repetitive but new issues have arisen.  I had a small heart attack in May. No stents. Being treated medically.  Biso was cut down from 2.5 to 1.25 and I was on 2.5 of ramipril amongst all the other stuff.  At the beginning of September my consultant said I was doing very well and could stop bisoprolol.  Everything great until 2 weeks later when blood pressure shot up and my GP put me on 5 mg ramipril and back on 1.25 bisoprolol.  My blood pressure went back to normal but what I'm now experiencing is that, late afternoon, my blood pressure rises and I am physically conscious of this. It's as if the effects of the drugs are beginning to wear off and I become less zombie like at which point my blood pressure increases.  Currently taking ramipril in the morning and bisoprolol in the evening.  Sleeping for about 10-11 hours a night and generally fed up.  Am currently monitoring my blood pressure twice a day.  Maybe I shouldn't.  Was walking daily.  Less able to do so on current doses because am so lethargic.  Never had any blood pressure problems prior to heart attack.  No family history of heart disease.  Eat a Mediterranean diet and have always exercised.  Has anyone else experienced similar dramatic rises and falls of blood pressure?  Blood pressure always at its lowest in the morning.  Maybe I shouldn't have bought a blood pressure machine.  Am I now addicted to taking my blood pressure?!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My blood pressure is so variable from hour to hour even.  I came off medication for it about a year ago now but have lately been monitoring daily (not always at the same time of day) with a wrist cuff and notice some very high spikes now and then, which I cannot tie to anything in particular - I just become aware of a pounding heartbeat noise in my head.  For instance, this morning it is 119 over 69, yesterday it was 153 over 92.  I was asked to keep a three times daily reading for a week and fill in a chart and then take a daily average.  I did this for seven days and then took the weekly average, and my GP said it was within the limits which do not require medication.  However, the spikes do worry me and I take a blood pressure pill when I get them, which is about a couple a month.  My cardiologist says this is okay, though my GP doesn't really approve.  I actually do the same for AFib which is here to stay for me, and take a Flecainide pill when the beat goes off.  So far this has worked for me.

Yes, you can become addicted to self monitoring, but it is also only wise to keep an eye on things and only you can do this.  Try a weekly chart as above and see what you average and then discuss it with your GP if you are still worried about it.

• Posted

I have just had a 3rd drug added to my little cocktail of bp drugs.  My GP told me to check my bp twice a week for the next 6 weeks, then go back to see him.  I was told that the bp machines with a wrist cuff are not as reliable as the ones with a cuff that goes around the top of your arms.

My hypertension is partly drug induced.  When I was on Bisoprolol and Ramipril, I used to take the Bisoprolol in the morning [along with my Prednisolone] and the Ramipril at night because you shouldn't take it at the same time as the pred..

I stopped taking the Ramipril because it caused a cough.  I now take:

Bisoprolol 10mg

Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg

And, since last week, Losartan  50mg

My blood pressure seems to be at a more respectable level.

I am totally whacked most of the time but I had put that down to being on MTX, though it might actually be because of the bp cocktail because I am feeling more and more lethargic as the time goes on.

Try taking your blood pressure twice a week, or perhaps 3 times before you send yourself potty!!

• Posted

Just goes to show the different opinions about blood pressure between GPs.  The thrice daily/weekly average was his suggestion.  I have two wrist cuffs which give slightly different readings but within an acceptable tolerance.  I was asked to compare it with the surgery one and that showed higher by about 6-7 points overall, which isn't a big deal.  I did have one or two high readings during that test week, but on average reading, he didn't seem too concerned.  I was however, and surreptitiously take a BP pill when I stay high (over 150 and over 90 I regard as getting too high) for more than half a day.  10ml Bisoprolol would wipe me out, and I also got a cough on Ramipril..  My GP friend says that it can stimulate the coughing reflex in the brain in some patients.  We just have to plough on and find out what controls and suits us individually.
    • Posted

Thanks Mrs Mop. My gut reaction is that I am experiencing drug induced hypertension but I doubt very much that my GP would agree with me. I feel for you.  Sounds like you are on quite a cocktail.  Oh well ... guess we must battle on .............
    • Posted

You've hit the nail on the head re attempting to work out what controls and suits us individually.  I think it takes a while to build up the confidence to do that but that's what I'm going to try to do.
  • Posted

Hi, it is actually quite dangerous to stop these drugs which is one of the reasons why doctors are reluctant to give them to you in the first place. Suddenly stopping can have a rebound effect and actually make your condition worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.