Bisoprolol and shortness of breath

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

I am on bisprolol 2.5 mg for inappropriate sinus tachycardia, which was thought to have caused/exacerbated my shortness of breath (which was initially caused by severe anemia but persists despite normal Hb [but ferritin is low normal]) . The bisoprolol also brought down my diastolic BP which suddenly shot up a few weeks back.

A few days before I started the bisoprolol, I felt some relief in the shortness of breath. No idea why/how. I've been on the bisoprolol for 10 days now. While my heart rate (between 70 and 80) and BP are great, I am now having more shortness of breath than previously. I even have shortness of breath at rest.

For the past few days, every time I take a nap I wake up feeling suffocated and have palpitations. I am not gasping for breath, but I do wake up breathing faster and with a higher heart rate. I was concerned if this was symptom of heart failure, so I slept flat on my back last night without pillows. I didn't experience any shortness of breath or palpitations. My recent echo, nuclear stress test, chest x ray were all normal, and the only abnormality is the high heart rate caught on various ECGs and the holter.

I am wondering if bisoprolol has anything to do with the shortness of breath and the suffocating feeling during naps. It's working so well for my heart rate and the diastolic BP (which was said to have risen because of IST) that I don't want to go on another med asap. I also have t2 diabetes (well controlled, a1c of 4.9) that I can't use nonselective beta blockers as they raise BG. I was on HCTZ which did nothing to lwoer my heart rate, and my diastolic mostly remained high on it, plus it raised my fasting BG over which I like to keep tight control.

but yes, if you have had worsening/new shortness of breath on bisoprolol, please share your experience. thank you.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't necessarily experience shortness of breath unless I am exerting myself too much.But I do experience a feeling of having to force myself to breath. Sometimes it is hard to take deep breaths to calm myself from anxiety issues I have. Hope you find relief and feel better. Good health to you.

• Posted

I have this feeling as well, I thought it was just me, It's horrid not being able to take a deep breath and always such a relief when you finally manage to.

• Posted

Please look at Dr Stephen Sinatra's info on beta blockers and how to help yourself.

He is an American Cardiologist . It works. I am on 2.5mg and i had heart failure with Afib 4 years ago . I feel better.

Spread the word. He has books and i have read them about his case history on patients and hospital surgery experience.

• Posted

I have had bisoprolol 1.25mg for 2 years and only after using it for 2 weeks i began to get a strange fluttering in my chest that after 2 months progressed to PVCs 2-3 times everyday, after 6 months I was diagnosed with heart problems a rythm problem that I NEVER HAD before being given this medication also side effects feeling unable to catch my breath, being strangled, having something stuck in my throat and horrible chest pain. Now 2 years later I have constant problems with my stomach, acid and bloating. Breathing is difficult like gasping for air or unable to breathe I feel I may pass out, dizzyness, headaches and now through this and how the hospital handled me that day in 2017 I have PTSS. Side effects from this medication are well known but they still prescribe them. I know how you feel and yes its terrifying. If I stop the medication and have something else I have less problems but here cardiologie returns me to Bisoprolol and everything begins again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.