Bisoprolol causing anxiety

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi Folk's been on Bisoprolol 5mg for about 6 months now for high blood pressure also taking Canderstan in recent weeks I have been getting some very heavy anxiety attacks,which I believe  are a side effect of the Bisoprolol anybody else have experience of this from taking Bisoprolol.Since the diagnosis I have taken steps to eat more healthy and exercise more in order to bring it down.It just this anxiety seems to be getting worse and when it's bad my skin feels tight and itchy...help.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hello, I have been taking bisoprolol for 2 weeks now, after being hospitalized for ventricular tachycardia. I am trying to reduce my dose back down to 5 mg daily, divided in two doses. My anxiety is so high after a dose that I run around like a chicken with its head cut off. Magnesium glycinate will help for a few hours. I would love to just stop taking this, but the rebound high blood pressure and hearttate would be too much to handle. It's very hard being stuck like this. I have an appointment with my cardiologist today and will ask to go back to metoprolol. I really feel for all people who are suffering like myself, and pray for all of them. I'm sorry we have to go through this.

• Posted

Did you manage to get your meds changed or are you still enduring bisoprolol..?

I have been on bisoprolol for years, experimenting now in reducing from 3.75mg once a day to 2.5mg once a day. It is a most useful drug for many people but others, like me, can feel trapped on it with issues whilst taking it and a whole lot more if trying to come off it.

Best wishes to you, managing this medication is not easy and, I get the impression, isn't always understood by doctors either when you note the effects that it is having on you.

• Posted

I have reduced the bisoprolol down to 2.5 mg every 12 hours. It feels much better and the anxiety is gone! But there are times during this cycle when it's hard: for a few hours after my morning dose, the amount is high in my blood so I'm very lethargic and sedated. After 10 hours of each dose, morning and evening, the drug has worn off and there's about 2 hours of breakthrough until the next dose. So during that time I may get tachycardia. But I'm sleeping much better now. I'm sure you will do fine decreasing from 3.75 to 2.5. May I ask: how do you get such small doses? Are you in the U.K? Here in the U.S. we only have 5 mg and 10 mg tablets, which makes titration very difficult.

• Posted

Yes I'm in the UK. It seems that 1.25mg tablets are also available. In that sense it does offer some flexibility when trying to make more granular adjustments to your dosage.

Good news in respects of what you have been able to do, yes there are certain pitfalls still with using this medication but at least the anxiety you were suffering has gone. That is excellent, you must be so happy about that.

Do you not notice your heart rate dropping to pretty low levels..? When I was taking 3.75mg my heart rate would drop into the 40's at times.

That has now improved that I'm using 2.5mg but there has been an increase in the anxiety feelings, I'm sure it will be time to adapt to those.

Sadly I do know that as my anxiety levels increase so does my blood pressure, which I monitor.

• Edited

Are you taking this for high blood pressure? Because that's a very low heart rate.

I'm taking this for ventricular tachycardia, so my heart rate rarely goes below 75. Without it, my heart rate is usually in the 90's while calm and much higher while active.

If I feel anxiety during the breakthrough hours, I will take chamomile tea with lemon balm or skullcap. If it's nighttime, I will also take magnesium glycinate which is relaxing and helps with sleep. I would recommend these to you since they're harmless and magnesium is actually good for you.

• Edited

Thanks, I have ordered a magnesium complex capsule. I will try those.

Chamomile is something that I will increase.

Sinus tachycardia and high blood pressure, so Bisoprolol seems to be the choice of the type of medication needed.

But at 3.75mg it is causing my resting heart rate to be too low. Hence the drop to 2.5mg. I'll need to monitor my BP and off that becomes an issue address that without increasing the Bisoprolol.

In the past when I have tried to reduce Bisoprolol it has been problematic with undesired side effects.

Hopefully this reduction of 1.25mg will go well.

• Posted

Good luck in convincing a doctor that Bisoprolol contributes / causes anxiety. At least that is my experience.

I know that I have anxiety, and depression. I understand much of its triggers and feelings. But my goodness with Bisoprolol that takes it to a whole new level of dealing with it.

It does help some with my BP, but at what cost.

Trying to reduce is also complicated and that can have very real issues.

Most distressing.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi, I have been taking Bisoporol after an episode of VT in January

I think I've had every side effect.

tired

brain fog

anxiety

depression

low heart rate

Dizziness

Cybersickness

A strange feeling of motion sickness when i walk

I drop from 5mg to 1.25, and when I sleep, my heart still drops to ’40s and sometimes 30’s.

My MRI, Ultrasound, diagram all came back clear, but just the other day, I felt a flutter of what I can only describe as pins and needles shoot through my system. As if I had been holding my breath, and then you breathe again, and you feel the oxygen go through your system.

The cardiologist as said to stop them, and I’m now on day two and feel a bit wired.

I am hoping my VT is a one-off, and stopping the tablets reverses all these sides effects.

its been interesting to read others have has similar effects

• Edited

Hi I am new to this site Reading every ones posts has been helpful. I don't feel so alone. I have been on metoprolol 25 mg and was increased a month in to 50 mg for 4 months and was suffering from anxiety.My Cardiologist switched me to bisoprolol 5 mg and sadly I am still suffering from anxiety. I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia and the medicine works and lowers my heart rate. my heart rate was always over 100 and as high as 180 averaging around 120-140. BUT i feel off. I feel anxious and not as social anymore. I believe i am suffering from anxiety! After reading some of the posts I’m wondering if I can cut my 5 MG in half and take less of it to see if that would lessen the anxiety feeling. If anyone has any suggestions if that would lessen the anxiety feeling. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi, I am a new kid on the block having been diagnosed with AFb in December. Since then I have had constant nausea and anxiety. I never thought for one minute that it was the medication causing this I genuinely believed it was all part and parcel of the illness, so I am quite relieved this forum has made me aware that it was not down to me. I have been on 3.75 of Biosapril so at least I know now the reason for my depression and Anxiety . Other drugs Bumetanide, Lisonopril, Famitodine,Edoxoban, Doxazosin and Digoxin which I will now be taking a close look at. When I go to see the Doctor after Easter I will have already researched them all and will my visit on the maxim of if you don't already know the answer never ask the question..Cheers everyone

• Posted

Hi,

I was unfortunately on Biso 15 months marked by:

• nightmares
    • back pain
    • anxiety
    • WORST OF ALL SHAKING when its time for new dose

In my experience looks like Biso "locks in" and "changes" how CNS and periphery nervous system communicate via various synapses, ions and channels which prevents it from being functional like it used to. As a result some get nervous system that is slowly degrading and dying so called nephropathy and it shows in blurred vision, balance problems, pain, SHAKING, WEAKNESS etc. Ofc, the more time you were on Biso and bigger the dose THE WORSE it is. Doctors will ofc convince you its OK for 35 year old to have all those symptoms, testament to just how far Hipocratic oath has come nowdays.

Any way, easily biggest mistake in my life, better would have been to spent jail time.

Tried to ween off but impossible. Anxiety, all sorts of pain, SHAKINESS are just to horrible to bear. Its like a doomsday machine. As added sound of horror you can even hear your heart beat in the brain but as irregular and distorted sound. Biso will simply NOT ALLOW anyone to tamper with its now properly "locked in" CNS and periphery neuro vegetative systems. You SIMPLY CANT "UNLOCK IT" to become normal again.

BUT, there was a solution in my case. Switched to Nebivolol it UNLOCKED IT at lowest dose 1.25 mg and in moments I started to feel much better. Its than possible to ween off Nebivolol if you wish but I don't have any side effects any more and Nebivolol as beta blocker does provide support against arrhythmia AND heart attack as is vasodilator so I stayed on 1.25 mg.

Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.