Bisoprolol causing gout

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I was diagnosed with AF in May and immediately put on 2.5mg of  Bisoprolol. For the past 4 weeks I have suffered gout flair ups in my feet, the last one this weekend being the worst. I am unable to take NSAIDs due to being on Apixaban. The pain is terrible, relentless and debilitating. Has anyone else experienced gout while on this drug? Are there any alternatives?

thanks,

Stuart

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi you need to see your GP.mthey can prescribe col chine instead of nsaids which will help your gout. I can't find any info in the drug literature (via Google) but n article in America suggested a small number of people present with gout. Google does bisoprolol cause gout and see what comes up. But the main thing is see yr GP 

• Posted

Agree with Julie best see the GP (hoptng he/she/zie) are sympathetic.

It (gout caused by bisop) has been mentioned more than once in various threads on bisoporol so perhaps a "search thousands of discussions" might help if you have the patience/persistence

Best of luck

• Posted

I complained of persistent attacks of gout over the last year and a cardiologist (Dr Corden at Imperial NHS) suggested stopping Bisoprolol. I also had symptoms of cold or tingling toes. I stopped about four weeks ago and I have seen some partial improvement.
    • Posted

My consultant has agreed to take me off Bisoprolol and try Verapramil instead. Hopefully the other side effects of tiredness will also subside. I have only been on the drug for a couple of months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.