Bisoprolol crashed my heart rate to 25bpm!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just want to share my experience with this drug in the hope that it may help others.  I fully appreciate that this drug may have positive effects for some, but for me I feel it robbed me of ten years of my life.

My condition is quite rare, my cardiologist at Papworth said he had only seen it once before, so I wont bore you with the details.  In brief I had complications following the birth of my daughter which caused a heart attack and heart failure exasperated by the fact that I have arteries, although not narrowed, are half the size they should be.

For the last 11 years, among other drugs, I was taking Bisoprolol 2.5mg. During that time my life slowly went down hill, I would easily get out of breath, had little strength and my energy levels were very low.  Whilst I got on with running my business and caring for my child, I had no strength for anything else and felt that my life was like wading through treacle.  I mentioned this on a couple of occasions to my GP but it was never looked into and I accepted that this was the way life would be, living with a damaged heart.

Early last year I was rushed to hospital due to visual disturbance and chronic dizzy spells.  At first they thought I may have had a TIA but all of the scans came back clear.  After numerous tests and scans I was given a 24 hour tape a few months later.  The day it was returned to the hospital they called me to advise I stop taking Bisoprolol immeditaely, as my resting heart rate was crashing to as low as 25bpm.  (I was very lucky not to have gone into heart block and died im my sleep, I am only 49!!)

Within a very short time I felt so much better.  Shortness of breath improved, circulation improved and my energy levels shot up.  Now, 14 months on, I am happy to say that I look and feel 10 years younger.  I am full of energy, have the strength to work and play hard now and I have dropped 4 stone in weight!!!

Thank goodness I am still here to tell the tale, for anyone feeling as I use to please push your GP, I wish I had and this drug would not have robbed me of 10 years of being able to live my life to the full!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

When I was prescribed bisoprolol the GP based the dose on my resting pulse. Initially she thought it was too low and refused to put me on the drug saying it could push it dangerously low. Later I was put on the lowest dose to stop excessive heart rate when I got af. I can't believe you were put on it with such a low heart rate, didn't anyone check when you were having such severe symptoms,? It's known to slow down the heart and that is why it can be so vital in the right circumstances. Now I am back in Sinus it is preventing af recurring.

• Posted

My heart rate never went as low as yours.   However I have been on a reducing dose since December and stopped now for 5 weeks.    My ability to walk has increased dramaticllynI now walk around 25000 steps every day with no problems before I could hardly walk to the bus stop without aches and pains.    3 years ago I went for tests because it was thought I had Myaesthenia Gravis.  I now know the weird side effects were caused by this pill.       I am glad to hear all is well with you now.    All the best Allyson
  • Posted

Good info from you and I'm very happy to hear that you are so much better. 

I know how you feel. I had bisoprolol for 6 yrs,then atenolol for 2 years to help my a fib which is now permanent. 

I too had all of the side effects as you've mentioned,but not the low heart rate! I'm still angry that I've been like a zombie for 8 yrs, without understanding that it was the Meds and not the a fib. If only I'd had known! I didn't know of this web site during this time. I had asked my doc and a cardio about my symptoms....just told to keep taking the beta blocker! 

I'm now beta blocker free...h rate still erratic, blood pressure too,but I can walk,think clearly and don't fall asleep during the day! These are a few of the improvements. 

There are times when I'm worried that my a fib ...is not being treated and I can feel scared too...but I've made my choice. The quality of my life is better.i just hope I have many more years left in me. I'm 71 .

Just to add that I realise too that beta blockers are essential for some and have very positive use. 

I hope you keep well and thank you for adding your info for us all to read and benefit from your experience. Take care.

• Posted

You didn't mention being on anti coagulants while in af.  Hope you are!!

• Posted

Oops...I'm taking rivaroxiban and also 2.5 rampril. Thanks for asking. It's good to know that people care. 

• Posted

That is really scary ! I hope now you will be on the way back to normality, I was only on BB for a year but it has took 9 months before I  started to feel more like my Old self, energy levels are nearly back to how I felt previously, unfortuneatly  GPs do not realise how this drug can alter and endanger your life. May I wish you a speedy recovery and wish you and your family all the best for the future and thank you for sharing your story.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.