Bisoprolol Flatulence?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Tiredness is well documented as a side effect of this drug, I get that, though not so bad now its gone down to 5mgs/day.

But since taking them, I've had the most awful flatulence. Well, it could be a coincidence, I dont know.  I wonder, does anyone else get bad, continuous and embarrassing wind with Bisoprolol?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Beta Blockers usually try to interfere only with Beta1 receptors in our bodies. But these drugs are not 100% perfect and they are not 100% selective and they still affect also Beta2 receptors in our bodies, especially on higher doses of a drug (selectivity is lost even more on higher doses of Beta blockers).

Here is a basic info:

"Beta blockers are competitive antagonists that block the receptor sites for the endogenous catecholaminesepinephrine (adrenaline) and norepinephrine (noradrenaline) on adrenergic beta receptors, of the sympathetic nervous system, which mediates the fight-or-flight response. Some block activation of all types of ß-adrenergic receptors and others are selective for one of the three known types of beta receptors, designated ß1, ß2 and ß3receptors. ß1-adrenergic receptors are located mainly in the heart and in the kidneys. ß2-adrenergic receptors are located mainly in the lungs, gastrointestinal tract, liver, uterus, vascular smooth muscle, and skeletal muscle. ß3-adrenergic receptors are located in fat cells."

So, you see, Bata1 receptors are in heart and kidneys. So, Beta blockers will affect these organs the most.

But a part of a drug will block also Beta2 receptors (even though that action is not what we need in heart diseases) and then you will have lots of altered mechanisms in your body and lots of side effects, like GI tract side effects, breathing side effects etc.

As you can see, Gastrointenstinal tract has Beta2 receptors and thus, a part of drug will interfere with it and a drug will alter some of it's natural mechanisms.

During a withdrawal from Beta blockers, a lot of people have nausea for weeks because our gastrointestinal tract is trying to get back to it's original state (a state before taking drugs).

So, our GI tract was normal before drugs, then slightly altered while taking drugs, and then normal again once you stop taking drugs.

Flatulence isn't reported too often, but since it is connected with GI tract, it is very likely related to Beta blockers and they have altered some of your natural GI tract's mechanisms and caused your problems.

• Posted

Hi 

only after eating so may not be tablets?

• Posted

I have similar symptoms. I'm on a smaller dose (2.5mg) and probably have less acute flatulence but enough to have to hide away in the late evening. I find psyllium, All Bran and pills for flatulence like Bean Assist help me manage the experience

• Posted

Terence 6, Thank you for posting this .

Gosh, i thought it was everything else but the Bisoprolol. I've been on 1.25mg for about a year now and this embarassing effect has gotten worse. ive tried changing my diet, exercise, you name it but it hasn't worked. i sm thinking of coming off it completely as it's such a low dose anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.