Bisoprolol Fumarate - becoming accustomed

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

I recently underwent a five-hour episode od atrial fibrillation, which led to the arrival of two ambulances and four paramedics.

In hospital I had three ECGs and was given five tiny white pills (Bisoprolol), whihch calmed things down in an hour and I was sent home. Bloods there and my chest X-ray were fine.

My GP has since put me on 2.5 mg of Bisoprolol daily and i've beeen struggling with side effects as follows...

Headache, of the kind you might associate with the Spanish Inquisition! Ibuprofen helped and the headaches are reducing now.

Confusion. It became very difficult to follow a logical, rational train of thought. After chatting on the phone my best friend said, "You are not yourself."

In e-mails to my friend, the spelliing ws atrocious.

Bllurred vision. This has made using my laptop difficult - what with this and the mangled thinking, it's beeen very hard to concentrate enough to read a  book.

Just as an aside, I spoke to a pharmacist, who advised that all this should settle down after  two weeks. 

So, while I take the next six doses to make up a forntight's use, how's everyone else gone on?

I'm finding I'm sleeping well enough and can cope with the chilly feeet and fingers that go with a 55 bpm heart rate.

I've also had another 12-lead ECG (which was fine). Apparently mu full bloods and ESR results were fine, though two others need commenting on - I'll call about them tomorrow.

Finally, I've a cardiologist appointment on the 1st April.

I think it all might be about being 60!

1 like, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've just been diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia and have taken my first Bisoprolol 2.5 today.

I'd like to stay in touch to compare notes as I've heard the two week phase of getting used to this drug can be tricky.

I'd like to thank everyone for their support in advance.

• Posted

Hello People,

Just a little update on my original 'becoming accustomed' post.

I went to see my GP this evening.

I told him I was struggling with the stress I'm under at present, just to see if he thought an antidepressant might help with the excessive anxiety that results from the stress. Just to give you an idea, here's what's putting me under stress...

While on the antidepressant Sertraline, I had a collapse/faint or syncope.

Two weeks after this happened, I was diagnosed with AF after a five-hour spell of it.

Two days later, my new lease car suffered a catastrophic failure in its suspension and steering. I lost control and hit a parked car. My car was a total loss.

Three weeks later, I had to attend a police interview 'under caution'. I was told the possible charge of driving without due care and attention won't be pressed but this is to be confirmed.I had the foresight to take along some pictures of the broken wreckage under the car that caused the crash. The police officer said, "That's amazing."

The divorce from Hell has now been in progress for 20 months.

The doc didn't come up with a compound that would help. He was worried about the effect of such drugs on one's QT interval.

I've been upped from 2.5mg to 3.75mg of Bisoprolol a day. The GP wanted me to be on this amount in preparation for a cardiology appointment on the 1st April.

One element is that I have a lot of 'previous' for anxiety issues. I was agoraphobic for 26 years and was always afraid of 'palpitations', which were diagnosed 32 years ago as 'supraventricular extrasystoles of no malign significance'. Being present when my father had a fatal M.I. (nothing could've saved him) also set me back in a big way.

Just at the moment, things are not great. My driving confidence had been badly shaken, though I keep 'getting back on the horse' in the loan car I'm using. I'm also using a little more Valium than usual and getting going in the day is very difficult.

I've had the first upped dose of Bisoprolol but am still alert at 00:30. I'm just crossing avarything in the hope that things improve - I think I'm due a bit of good luck!

• Posted

No you shouldn't take antidepressants for exactly the reason your GP was worried about, they can induce or exacerbate long QT syndrome neutral  
    • Posted

Thanks Benny Blanco.

You're absolutely right of course and I won't be pursuing antidepressant therapy.

For all I know, my having a blackout 24 hours after starting Sertraline was down to qt interval. It happened just once and the ECG were all clear. The AF started long after that.

• Posted

Hi dave!

I didn't know Vallium was a UK prescription drug! I'm not a doctor but as a Biso user I dont think taking Vallium is a good  idea while you are are on Bisoprolol! I don't have SE's with it but vallium  would  "space me out!" 

• Posted

Hi henbowalker,

Valium is among sveral bezodiazepines that are available on prescription in the UK. Most GPs are not to happy to prescribe it but as I've been using such drugs for decades, I'm known to be sensible with it and take the barest minimum and only rarely take the permitted maximum of 4 x 2mg in a day. I find it can help settle my ectopic heartbeats, which are often anxiety driven. This has been a long-term cross to bear for me.

I found that the initial side effects I experienced with Bisoprolol mostly settled down after two weeks. Pumping up th dose yesterday and today hasn't made much difference. Having said that, I still have to watch things like ensuring I haven't forgotten my keys (for example). As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm somewhat distracted by the stressors in my life. I believe it's more this than the medication that means I have to consciously concentrate from time to time.

Given the tiny amount I take, Valium doesn't space me out at all - probably becuase I'm so used to it!

• Posted

So sorry to hear just how bad you are feeling. Life isn't easy for any of us but you seem to have had more than your fair share of bother.

thankfully there are people on here to give you support. We may not have the answers but our empathy with your situation may help. 

East to say....chin up....not so easy to do. We've all been there. Take care.

• Posted

Thank you very much, Elizabeth 12 - I appreciate the support - it really does help.

I've already received a trolling from someone on here who decided I needed to be judged, criticised and offended. The two posts have been deleted by the moderators now, which is only right and proper.

I'll continue learning to live with things - they must resolve sooner or later.

Meanwhile, you take care too. All the best.

• Posted

Hi there, I started same dose about a month ago. Mine was for tachycardia. I too had cold feet, my bowels were loose, but the worst is the exhausted feeling. Kinda like you are just going through the motions only. After 3werks it did get a little better. I had 2 episodes 4 days apart, and never before that. I have had appointment about having ablation. Just have to decide. It really freaks me out........lately even with the medication I have been having fluttery feelings, I guess palpitations. That freaks me out too even though I know it is not life threatening. I am 60 years old also. Why does this just start at this age?
    • Posted

It doesn't just start at 60! Although the older we get the more likely we are to have a fib....at least that's what I've read. 

I suggest you read the stuff from drjohnm. He's a cardiologist and he too has a fib. Recent research doesn't appear to have reached us here in the uk ,but I suppose it's all so questionable! 

Maybe the meds will sort you out,but I couldn't put up with the side effects any longer....5/6 years of feeling exhausted and zombie like...plus lots of other rotten side effects. 

I still take an anti coagulant and rampril....hopefully to be weaned off the rampril soon. There's no proof that these meds will extend my life,or if they're having an effect on other bodily functions. So ...I'm taking a chance,going with the latest research...lose weight, no procedure to be done( it's never been offered), cut out the betablocker and keep everything crossed! I know that I'm in a better place than I've been in for the past 5/6 years. As far as I know I've been diagnosed with a / fib ,no medical info other than that,so I'm assuming that I don't have any heart disease. I'm such a coward and have had absolute faith in my GP.....but after  such a long time and feeling so weak I've made my decision. I hope that you will read the article I've mentioned here. I wish that he was my cardio doc! Take care.

• Posted

Hi Lolasmom.

Your last is not an easy question to answer and I certainly don't claim to have the 'right' answer - it's just my take on it.

I think that we're educated, albeit by well-meaning people, that anything remotely 'cardiac' is automatically scary. In my view, this and what we hear from our contemporaries work together, the one reinforces the other.

I was put on 2.5mg Biso per day after a spell of AF and am awaiting a cardiologist appointment (on 1st April) and it feels like the longest ever wait.

I've a long-standing history of problems with anxiety and the first real hit was a collapse, which was down to my having been prescribed Sertraline for depression. It turns out that  this stuff can prolong the qt interval and trigger a blackout. Then, it was a couple of weeks before the AF struck.

I had side effects from Biso - serious confusion, tiredness and severe headaches. These settled a lot after two weeks. I'm just getting used to the Biso having been upped from 2.5 to .75mg/day.

For me, the biggest challenge is the anxiety...well, alright, fear. For me, I've an abalation (or whatever) means no more palpitations and side effects of medicines, then bring it on.

At least you can take comfort in knowing you're not alone.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your reply. Good for you for taking control. Do you have attacks often and how long have you been having them? It is such a freaky procedure but I was told it is 98%successful.....now all I have to do is decide. I have been on bisoprolol for about a month now since all this started. Just feel yucky. This is nasty
    • Posted

I was diagnosed as having a fib 6 years ago! My GP gave me bisop rampril and aspirin. I saw the cardio doc who said just continue with meds prescribed! If you've read my earlier posts you will know that I've had a rotten time. My GP s neither would accept my side effects. I was like a zombie. I then saw another cardio doc...he was dismissive of the side effects and prescribed digoxin as well as the other meds. He said not to travel to France! No dialogue from him. I didn't take the digoxin and saw a new GP. He said he would change my meds to atenolol rampril and rivaroxiban! This GP has left now and the last one I saw allowed me to reduce the atenolol. I've stopped it now with no doc permission!

i have a fib all day, everyday. My pulse varies from 68 to 120 and my BP can be as high as 95 for the bottom number. 

I know that it's a hard decision that you have to make. Some people manage on the meds,others need to have a procedure..

I don't know how bad my a fib is...not any doc has given me any info...but I know that I'm feeling so much different. The bisop and the atenolol didn't work for me! I'm checking BP and pulse....no difference! Thankfully the weight is coming off, and tha anxiety feelings have mostly gone. I feel more of my old self. 

I hope that you can find some peace and the decision isn't an easy one. There are lots of people on here that have had successful abalations and a few with problems. But hey that's life! My thoughts are with you. Oh,did you read the latest research I suggested. It may help ...hope so...take care.

• Posted

Oh my Elizabeth, I am so sorry for your troubles but am glad you are feeling better. Anxiety is a killer. I to suffer with it and know it has made my problem worse. I am new to this site and am still trying to find drjohnm comments. Good luck to you
    • Posted

You will need to go to drjohnm on the web. He's a cardiologist who also has a fib. Read what he says about the 13 things he says to his patients and also the new research on a fib. The info comes up on the left side of the screen. 
    • Posted

Ah yes. Just found it and am reading now. Very interesting, though I do not have a fib

Thanks so much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.