Bisoprolol Fumarate - becoming accustomed

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

I recently underwent a five-hour episode od atrial fibrillation, which led to the arrival of two ambulances and four paramedics.

In hospital I had three ECGs and was given five tiny white pills (Bisoprolol), whihch calmed things down in an hour and I was sent home. Bloods there and my chest X-ray were fine.

My GP has since put me on 2.5 mg of Bisoprolol daily and i've beeen struggling with side effects as follows...

Headache, of the kind you might associate with the Spanish Inquisition! Ibuprofen helped and the headaches are reducing now.

Confusion. It became very difficult to follow a logical, rational train of thought. After chatting on the phone my best friend said, "You are not yourself."

In e-mails to my friend, the spelliing ws atrocious.

Bllurred vision. This has made using my laptop difficult - what with this and the mangled thinking, it's beeen very hard to concentrate enough to read a  book.

Just as an aside, I spoke to a pharmacist, who advised that all this should settle down after  two weeks. 

So, while I take the next six doses to make up a forntight's use, how's everyone else gone on?

I'm finding I'm sleeping well enough and can cope with the chilly feeet and fingers that go with a 55 bpm heart rate.

I've also had another 12-lead ECG (which was fine). Apparently mu full bloods and ESR results were fine, though two others need commenting on - I'll call about them tomorrow.

Finally, I've a cardiologist appointment on the 1st April.

I think it all might be about being 60!

1 like, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello I'm a newbie on bisoprolol and its only 2.5 one per day but it's affecting me badly terrible stomach aches and I can't stand without going so dizzy I have to sit again and as a result I haven't been out for two weeks I just sit in my chair and tiredness I sleep for England. I have a pacemaker fitted and currently my pulse is at 60 beats a minute but today I haven't taken a tablet and I'm going to phone my doctor tomorrow I just can't get on with these tablets.
    • Posted

I've had so many side effects with bisoprolol,including dizziness on standing,weak legs that wouldn't carry me far,just standing was difficult and I was so tired..falling asleep through the day.i had other side effects which I've listed on my earlier posts. My doc wouldn't listen...or change the biso,until a new doc gave me atenolol. Same problem! I. Now off the betablocker,check my pulse and h rate...it's no different..but the side effects have all but gone! I have a fib so my h rate can go as high as 120bpm! Not the same problem as you. 

I wanted to let you know the horrid time I had on the betablockers and how much better I feel now. Make sure your doc listens to you....mine did not...5 years of disabling life...wasted! Do your research before you go and don't be intimidated. Hopefully you've got a good doc and maybe the betablocker will work for you. Take care and let us know how you're doing.

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth thankyou for your lovely reply I'm going to hopefully get my doctor to phone me back tomorrow (monday) to tell him I've had enough of these side effects excruating stomach ache tiredness can't stand as though I have constant low blood pressure and blurred vision first thing in the mornings. I want to help my wife instead of being a hindrance there's got to be more than just being confound from bed to an armchair after all I take warfrin that thins the blood and clots won't form so I'm sure my AF won't cause to much of a problem if I don't take this bisoprolol.
    • Posted

I had blurred visio too...it's fine now. In fact I'm wearing my glasses on the end of my nose cos I can see distance now without them!

I have rivaroxiban....lot more expensive,but doesn't need to be monitored. Read up the warfarin stuff and the new anti coagulants. It's very interesting! I was given beta blockers to lower my BP. It hasn't made any difference. I can't understand why you would be given b p meds to lower your BP if it's low anyway! But I'm no doc, just fed up with the lack of understanding I had from my doc who I trusted implicitly. Chin up, you're doing the right thing....see your doc and tell him how lousy you feel. Don't let him bamboozle you. There are other alternatives. 

• Posted

Hiya. Just wondered how you are getting on now with the bisoprolol a couple of months later
  • Posted

I've started on 2.5mg and finding that my.muscle definition is going down i work out 3x a week at the gym I need an aortic valve replacement and had open heart surgery when I was 10. I have t have the hole patched again as well as the aortic valve replacement which will all be done at same time. I have been on them 2 weeks due to a irregular heart beat and my heart is enlarged too. I'm finding that I am tired and letharg.
  • Posted

Hi , I was in Bisoprolol just two months I was taking 10 mg ,Because my blood pressure is a little high, and it was the worst day of my life. I became like an old man. My body shivering, cold feet, dizziness, dizziness and ringing in the ears. I stopped taking it only after two months of using it. Loss of energy most of the time, foggy head and dizziness sometimes I feel better, but the adrenaline in our bodies is rushing with force. I give up and I have no solution but to take vitamins. I do not want to be negative, but I am afraid that it will not come out of my body. I am 39 years old, I admit that the tinnitus with time has improved, I just feel With a band in the ear, but ringing in the ears. Note: Do not ask the doctor, because it will worsen your condition. Do not use any medication. Pregnancy and time will end this despicable drug that caused me anxiety and incomprehensible fear

Note : I haven't taken medication for 20 months and still a lot of withdrawal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.