Bisoprolol not working - any alternative?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 51 year old male who has been diagonised with Paroxymal AF coupled with Bradycardia. I was given Bisoprolol 1.25mg tablets for palpatations and they have done nothing for the palpatations. I cannot have a higher dose, because of the Bradycardia. Any suggestions would be welcome?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

A pacemaker would keep your heart rate up while taking bisoprolol or other drug or at least that was what they told me when diagnosed with tachy bradycardia.
  • Posted

Hello Charles

I have Atrial Tachycardia and moderate to severe impairment of left ventricle. Am on 5 mgms of Bisoprolol -was on 7 but got nightmares. What does your GP or the consultant suggest as a solution.? They may need to change you to another drug.

• Posted

Prescribing bisop. appears a "first step" hope and see solution.

Would agree with Derek's suggestion but according to "the heart.org" medscape cardiology webpage ablation proved better than pacing for your symptoms.

Reccommend the site/page to you. There may be others of course.

Don't let the GP fob you off with cheaper solutions

• Posted

Thanks to you all for taking the time to respond.

The Bisoprolol is having no effect on the AF & cannot be increased, as I have a resting heart rate of 45BPM. My doctor has reffered me back to the hospital Cardiologist as an urgent case, as she was unsure of the next step in my treatment. Obviously I am concerned as I am now have increased occurance of palpations & I am strugglying to sleep. My Bradycardia is resulting in dizziness, blurred vision and fatigue. I should add that tests for heart disease have come back clear and there is no history of heart disease or my present symptons in my family. I am really after what the next steps in treatment may be and the possability of a pacemaker has come up, when I have been doing research on the internet. However I would like to explore all other options, before even considering that. Thanks again for your respones & I will keep you informed of my treatment plan.

• Posted

Still waiting for 'urgent appointment ' to see cardiologist .stopped taking bisoprolol today as felt unwell yesterday. My heart rate was 31 BPM from about 9 am until 9 pm . Going to see my practice nurse tomorrow just to let them know I'm off the meds .

Good news for you Rachel , hope it continues and you go from strength to strength.

• Posted

If no joy from "urgent appnt." request why don't you go to A&E as they have timings they have to keep
    • Posted

Went back to docs last Tuesday 10 th .nurse was going to ring hospital again as a urgency, still no word .my pulse rate was 42 bpm whilst there .. It has dropped to between 31 and 38 several times since then .Feel in limbo at the moment .Trying to pluck the courage up to go to hospital.
  • Posted

If it were me and knowing my hospital which has a very good reputation I would not hesitate to call emergency services.

My GPs have told me on more than one occasion not to hesitate.

The GPs are not for emegencies they told me.

Best of luck

• Posted

After many months of hospital test I had a catheter ablation on the 13 June. Have had a few flutters since but on the whole feeling much better . Have to have a follow up appointment at hospital in around 6 weeks . Not taking any medication and hopefully that is how it will remain .
    • Posted

Excellent news...

Long wait of course but if now ok it is very good news.

With regard to meds. a word of caution

A few years ago I had my first cardioversion and it successfully returned my heart to sinus rhythym but after 4 months my Cardiologidt took me off the meds. bisop and warfarin and within 6 weeks my heart went back to atrial fib.

I read afterwards that the "best practice" was to keep on taking meds in order to assist the heart remain in sinus rhythm 

Think it is worth checking out ..just in case.

Subsequent cardioversions are not usually very successful in the heart being returned to sinus for  long periods and so it proved for me.

the next was 1 week and the last was one 1 day  

Let us know how you get on

• Posted

Thank you for your good advice, I will keep that in mind during my follow up .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.