Bisoprolol. Should I come off it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

October 2020 I was admitted to A&E from work by ambulance with a heart rate of 189. I was diagnosed as having SVT (Supra Ventricula Tachycardia) Within 15 minutes my heart rate was under control. I was prescribed 2.5mg of Bisoprolol together with Atorvastatin 20mg and allowed to go home less than 2 hours after being admitted.

I had an Echo Cardiogram approx 2 weeks later followed by a 24 hour ECG monitor a few weeks after that. I subsequently received a letter from the hospital to say that both the Echo Cardiogram and the ECG were completely normal. The consensus being that the SVT was brought on by stress at work.

I have mild Asthma. I used to use my inhalers maybe a couple of times per month, now it's several times per day and I have a cough that comes and goes which sometimes causes light headedness. My sleep patterns are a mess, I get to the end of the day and slump with tiredness. Any exertion is met with breathlessness (I have scarred lungs from Sarcoidosis which has been dormant for roughly 20years). My blood pressure is usually on the low side of normal so I'm careful not to stand too quickly but still get the odd bout of feeling light and dizzy.

I have tried to get to see my GP but they aren't seeing anybody face to face at the moment.

I want to come off the Bisoprolol as I think it is affecting me adversely.

I'm going to write to my GP and see if I can get a meeting organised. I should have had a medication review in January but it never happened.

Your thoughts?

Brian

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brain,

I was once taking bisoprolol. That was started Feb 2016 when I started having SVT.

My type of svt is atrial tachycardia. That was confirmed with having and EP study.

When I took biso, I felt extremely awful. I had absolutely no energy. I just could not get off the sofa. Also, my hands and feet were freezing...I took it for about 4 months first starting at 5 mg, and dropping to 2.5 mg half way through.

When I went for my first attempted ablation, my EP told me to just stop the biso 5 days prior to the procedure. I asked if just stopping it would be okay. He told me it would be just fine.

Well, it wasn't fine at all.

I went through terrible withdrawals.

But at that time I did not know it was withdrawals, but thought it was anxiety. So, I went to my gp and he put me on a benzo (klonopin) and trazodone.

What a mistake that was. I had no clue what they were.

I wont even get into that.......

My point here is that I wanted to tell you to please do not just stop biso. It needs to be weaned down.

Knowing now what I know, I just wish I had realizes it was biso withdrawal..I would have handled things much differently.

I told my EP that I would rather have tachycardia than deal with the side affects being on biso, and the withdrawal from them

SVT sucks. I am having so many episodes lately. This past week, I have had about 6 episodes ranging from 10 minutes up to 3 hours. I get it

• Posted

Hi Lolasmom,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. I understand about the withdrawal complications so I won't just stop. I'm going to push my GP for an appointment and see what we can agree on.

I hope you get a resolution to your SVT issues soon.

Kind regards

Brian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.