Bisoprolol side effects

Posted , 30 users are following.

I have been taking Bisoprolol for about 9 weeks. Side effects so far from day one were noticeably cold fingers and toes, and my fingers were red all the time. The opposite extreme they become really hot and throbbing.

After about 6 weeks i started to feel nauseous regardless of whether i had eaten or not, and even the smell of food made me ill. I belch after eating and drinking liquids.

I read that beta blockers can mask the signals that your body is low in blood sugar, and although I do not suffer from diabetes I am fully aware of the symptoms of low blood sugar due to a close friend with the disease. I felt spaced out and drunk. My thinking became really slowed and nothing made any sense. It's not a nice feeling and can happen anytime but usually afternoon/evening. Is this a common side effect, has anyone out there had this symptom? The tiredness gets me down too, as I have an energetic job and just getting through the day can be hard work sometimes.

I find if I take any anti inflammatory medication for headaches that these can also bring on palpitations and if I am tired or hungry can bring on palps also.

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, Have taken two or three different types of Beta Blockers and honestly I find them the best, although your correct they do have side effects such as tiredness, cold feet etc.

My Doctor changed me to an Alpha Blocker to do the same job but wow! my pulse rate took off. Eventually I went from one Alpha Blocker to another, same side effects. It wasn't till I went back on the Bisoprolol I discovered how good they are. My pulse rate dropped, no palp's and felt so relaxed, so my estimation they must be near the best one to take.

Iv'e been taking them for years as prescibed by the Cardiac Clinic and definately won't let the Doctors change them not after realising how good,even with side effects, they really are.

Hope this helps Elizabeth, take care...

• Posted

Have been on Bisoprolol for about 2 months for Atrial Fibrillation. They do a great job of it except I am getting dreadful migraines (sometimes wiping me out for 4 days at a time) and also keep getting anxiety attacks.

Been waking up in the middle of the night and feeling like I can't breathe. Sometimes I feel like getting out of the room I'm in and running away or escaping. Horrible sensation.

I did try to cut down the dosage and come slowly off them but the AF came back with a vengeance and I felt worse. Seems like I'm stuck with them.

• Posted

Hi there,

Can you please tell us the dosage per Day of the Bisoprolol you've been taking?

I just need to find the right dose for me, 5mgs just makes one so tired. And H.R. and BP{ rock botom too.

• Posted

I have been on Bisoprolol for around 8wks since being diagnosed with Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation. Initially in the the hospital i was prescribed 2.5mg however this was increased to 5mg when i was discharged. I have experienced all of the above side effects but now through weaning myself of of the tablets down to 1.25 the effects diminished. My last tablet was on Monday 9th and low and behold i had a AF episode on the 10th sad Awaiting to speak.with my Cardiologist as to.whether i can try 1.25mg long term.
  • Posted

Hi I have been on Bisoprolol 10mg for the past 15 yrs for high BP and irregular heart rythumn. Its only the past two years that I have been getting cold tingly feet and hands and in the past yr have also got swollen stiff and painful ankles. I am 58 and have agoraphobia as well so dont go out only to see the GP. frown
  • Posted

Had a massive heart attack 3 months ago. put on Bisoprolol . had night mares and shaking fits. at times afraid to go to sleep at night. also light headed to the extent of not being completely aware of what was going on.

Awaiting re consutation with my consultant.

• Posted

maybe your dose is too high . im on same bisoprolol and i had the same side effects plus very painfull cramps in my calfs while i was sleeping and i would jump out of bed in agony . I was on 2.5 then now i have reduced it to 1.25 and that was after my heart rate dropped to 42 beats and very bad dizzy spells so bad i was afraid to leave my home .now on 1.25 im feeling better cramps gone sometimes dizzy i think its when my bp drops low .by the way im now obsessed with my bp reading im constantley on the monitor my bp is always between 130 over 80 and 104 over70 higher one usualy after i just eaten its mostley low now .I also take 1 high strength garlic pill and 1 high strength omega 3 fish oil .by the way im 68 yrs old slim and have the accasional roll up cigy . i sometimes wonder wy im on the meds at all i do beleave it cos i get white coat syndrem. But him in the white coat should know .so who am i to say . I just go on the net and read all these horror storys about people renderd useless with there meds side effects
  • Posted

It's a shame that people only appear to post once and therefore some useful information to help other posters might be lost

I have gone from paroxysmal AF to persistent AF

Have been taking bisoporol for 3 years after finding sotolol was making me so tired and leaving me with no quality of life.

It has taken me around 2 years to sort the dosage that bests suits me (with the help of various (3 at least) doctors and the cardiology consultant which included 3 * 24 hour monitors for heart rate.

During the 3 years I have also gone through Amiodorone,Dronedorone and now Digoxin

All of these in a logical well documented procedure of treatment for AF

Now take bisop 3 times a day at midday,1700 and 2200 with a dosage of 1.25mg

I take the digoxin at 0700

Point I want to make is that I would advise you to examine the dosage you take

• Posted

Hi Bill,

I know you're post is over a year old now so you may no longer be using the forums or see this post. But, could I ask what made you decide to take the Bisoprolol three times per day rather than in a single larger dose?. What benefits does it give you?.

Thanks

• Posted

Elizabeth anti inflammatory drugs are bad for your heart take paracetamol.
  • Posted

Hi all

I had my second aortic valve replacement operation a year ago. I am taking warfarin as my new valve is a metal one. I'm also taking bisoprolol 1.25mg once a day. I'm so tired all the time, everything seems twice a hard to achieve. I've seen my consultant and she suggested that I could try and reduce dose to every other day, I did but my heart was jumping around all over the place and I felt rotten. So I still take one a day, and tried taking It at night, it didn't make any difference. I'm nearly 50, and swim twice a week, walk dogs etc, but honestly I feel much older. From what I've been reading I do feel lucky just being very tired, i was going to ask for alternative medication but after reading I'm not alone, I think I will leave well alone.

• Posted

I understand the difficulties of Bisoprolol I started on 1.25mg and now on 2.5 but my target dose is 10 mg as I have Dilated Cardiomyopathy. The tiredness is the most difficult but I also put on a lot of weight and have nightmares. I will make the next step to 3.75 after Christmas but i honestly don't think I will tolerate 10mg.

I am aware it is a wonderful drug and is the cardiologists favourite but it sure knocks the hell out of you.

Wally

• Posted

Hi wally, my husband had a cardiac arrest last year and only half his heart is functioning now, he was started on bisoprolol and told they idea was to get his ramapril AND bisoprolol up to 10 mg, he seemed to take about 2 weeks to bounce back after the increase but the last 1.25 increase wiped him out and it didn't improve so we dropped it back, it seems that they aim for 10mg optimal dosage but everyone is different in their tolerance levels it seems! Good luck
    • Posted

Hi, I used to take ramapril 10mg and bisoprol 5.6mg , The ramapril was causing me problem it was hurting my kidneys , after a few test ramapril was taking out, my dosage of bisoprol was increased to 10-.6.25mg, no problem since.
  • Posted

Nickylancer and Wally I had similar symptoms of tiredness to you and was taking 2.5mg per day in 1 dosage but changed it to 1.25 2* per day and then 3 * per day .

This sorted out almost all my tired spells although occasionally if I have done a lot of exercise I do have to nap for 30 mins.

My suggestion is to take smaller doses more frequently. ie 0.625 twice a day on 1.25 per day

and see how you feel

Best of luck

Frank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.