Bisoprolol side effects

Posted , 30 users are following.

I have been taking Bisoprolol for about 9 weeks. Side effects so far from day one were noticeably cold fingers and toes, and my fingers were red all the time. The opposite extreme they become really hot and throbbing.

After about 6 weeks i started to feel nauseous regardless of whether i had eaten or not, and even the smell of food made me ill. I belch after eating and drinking liquids.

I read that beta blockers can mask the signals that your body is low in blood sugar, and although I do not suffer from diabetes I am fully aware of the symptoms of low blood sugar due to a close friend with the disease. I felt spaced out and drunk. My thinking became really slowed and nothing made any sense. It's not a nice feeling and can happen anytime but usually afternoon/evening. Is this a common side effect, has anyone out there had this symptom? The tiredness gets me down too, as I have an energetic job and just getting through the day can be hard work sometimes.

I find if I take any anti inflammatory medication for headaches that these can also bring on palpitations and if I am tired or hungry can bring on palps also.

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi thought I would "enhance" previous post.

Forgot that 1.25 bisop is the smallest dosage/tablet.

Also the latest 1.25tablet is so small (well the "brand" now supplied by our local chemists is) you would have difficulty splitting it

I found over time my body seemed to get used to the dosage and I was not so tired.

Previously I was on sotalol but with that I was definitively tired all the time.

My consultant then switched me to bisop

Perhaps you might try sotalol instead of bisop and see how you feel .This assumes your individual medical condition can accept sotalol as well as bisop.

Best of luck

Frank

• Posted

Hi All

After my episode they found out they had prescribed the medication for the wrong condition. in fact 3 Doctors at the Hospital didn't realise I had depression. Biso wasn't needed !!!!

Now I am on the right road to recovery, Only 4 months to go and the Stents should be well and truly attached so will come of the Plavix Hopefully !!!!

Regards

Russ

• Posted

Amazing story Russ

Great that all is now going well

Regards

Frank

• Posted

I was given 5mg Bisoprolol after a triple bypass 3 months ago and have had difficulty getting a deep breath and even yawning is weird (feel 'airlocked') I also have pins and needles in my hands, mainly the right, and my heart is regularly skipping beats. Now on 1.25mg to see if this improves things.
  • Posted

I have been taking bisoprolol for 18 months now. Got dosage up to 7.5, was going fine then had to reduce as it was having adverse effects, has been gradually reduced because of the side effects. Was managing on 2.5

Until started passing out,most been reduced by my GP to 1.25, and ordered to have ECG and 24 heart

Monitor as yet again affecting heart rate, and request was sent to Cardiologist for urgent appointment

I suffer fron dilated cardiomyopathy, and have also been advised to stop driving. Anybody else in same

Situation?

• Posted

Having read what is written on the heart foundation website it appears what I was going to suggest you ask to be considered for is ok, which is a pacemaker.

If you have dizziness it usually comes from insufficient pumping of blood which might be affected by the rhythm/regularity of the heart beat.

Your condition is more complicated but a pacemaker sorted my dizziness,

• Posted

I have been on Bisoprolol for about 3 years now. I have always suffered with cold feet since being diagnosed with Congenital heart failure. Also I have a lot of nightmares. I never knew until yesterday that these could be caused by Bisoprolol. I am also a type 2 diabetic and always put it down to either that or I also read that as I sit a lot at a computer that I was trapping a nerve between my feet and brain. I think I need to go and see my doctor although I soon have an appointment with the heart surgeon.
  • Posted

I also suffered from cold feet especially when going to bed at night. This I put down to sitting down for 2/3 hours reading or watching TV before going to bed . So I took to wearing bedsocks which resolved this problem.

Found that if I did a "fair bit" of walking during the day 5000/10000 steps then cold feet problem much reduced. Also being a man can wear some thicker socks!

I also spend time at a computer but fortunately the kitchen is 35 paces away so "refreshments/food" keep me active.

Had some vivid dreams but no real nightmares fortunately.

Obviously the dosage and time of taking it will have an effect.

Have you tried changing these?

• Posted

Been to hospital, staying on 1.25 bisoprolol, but cardiology have now decided to fit me with a loop recorder for about 18 months. They reckon it will show what if anything is going wrong. One person said it could be

vertigo, never been told that before.

Hoping that the recorder will show what is up and how it can be rectified. One good thing that has come from it is that I will be retiring as of 31 July 2014, and will have more time to look after me. Thanks for all the

support

• Posted

I have never thought of changing my medication prior to reading this as I did not realise they may be connected. I will go and chat with my GP now though. I have when my feet felt really cold resorted to wearing socks in bed but I find it really uncomfortable.
  • Posted

Hi. I have been on Bisoprolol for about 3 weeks for my POTS syndrome. When I started taking them i realised I was very sore under my right eye. Didn't think it was related but was confused as to why my eye was hurting. Now I have just increased my Bisoprolol dosage and my eye is much worse and watery and have started to feel discomfort in my other eye. It feels like I have been punched in the eye and am struggling to see because of the watering. Has anybody else had this? I have a tendency to react strangely to medications!
    • Posted

Hi  Folks

I have been on Cardicor 5(Bisoprolol) for over 3 years after the cardiologist doubled my dose when I said I didn't want to take Amiodorone.  It made me lacking in energy but controlled my paroxismal AF.

The palms of my hands go very blue with all the blood vessels looking very knotty.  Two drs have told me it's because I  have thin skin; I don't understand how it can be thin and an hour later, thick again!

I don't have the cold hands and feet problem, but do get strange cramps.  I have vivid dreams every night, but have had since I was on sotalol.

My voice has gone husky and it is sometimes difficult to talk  -  stress, say drs and ENT consultant.  I have read on one site that bisiprolol can affect the throat, although I agreee that stress is partly responsible.

I also have the runny nose problem that can be causd by bisoprolol.

In July 2013,  I was returning from holiday and slept for about 2 hours.  When I woke, I was deaf.  I didn't realise until I got home and couldn't hear the answerphone.  Hearing in my left ear returned but is gradually fading.  Dr said Cardicor couldn't be   the cause.  2 consultaions with ENT consultant;  2 hearing aids - not much use.   Anyhow I Googled various sites and found that deafness can be a side-effect of bisoprolol, and it is now mentioned on the information sheet, but not

Has anyone else experienced this or any of my other symptoms?

• Posted

In the Bisoprolol info leaflet that comes with each box of pill's one of the side effects is dry eyes. Do they sting when they water? If so then you have dry eyes, you can buy saline eye drops from the chemist which help a lot.

• Posted

I have been to see my GP about my cold feet and she told as I have not yet had my operation I must stay on the same dosage of Bisoprolol. She said cold extremities was common with beta blockers but operated on and my weight is around my correct BMI then they would try and get me off most of my drugs and lower the dosage of the other I will have to stay on for the rest of my life.
  • Posted

Hi I have been on Bisoprolol for the past 3 years and the thing i have noticed is my lust for life has gone. My wife kept asking me why i am never funny any more. I had no idea they would do that to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.