Bisoprolol side effects

Posted , 30 users are following.

I have been taking Bisoprolol for about 9 weeks. Side effects so far from day one were noticeably cold fingers and toes, and my fingers were red all the time. The opposite extreme they become really hot and throbbing.

After about 6 weeks i started to feel nauseous regardless of whether i had eaten or not, and even the smell of food made me ill. I belch after eating and drinking liquids.

I read that beta blockers can mask the signals that your body is low in blood sugar, and although I do not suffer from diabetes I am fully aware of the symptoms of low blood sugar due to a close friend with the disease. I felt spaced out and drunk. My thinking became really slowed and nothing made any sense. It's not a nice feeling and can happen anytime but usually afternoon/evening. Is this a common side effect, has anyone out there had this symptom? The tiredness gets me down too, as I have an energetic job and just getting through the day can be hard work sometimes.

I find if I take any anti inflammatory medication for headaches that these can also bring on palpitations and if I am tired or hungry can bring on palps also.

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Same here. Except I don't have a wife! - I noticed it in myself.

• Posted

Hi, have been taking 1.25mg bisoprolol daily for 4 weeks for paroxysmal AF have found cold feet and hands a problem as well as eye muscle ache and tiredness, memory also seems to be affected. I have today started Flecainide 50mg twice daily and have stopped the beta blocker to see if AF can be controlled better this way and hopefully without more side affects.
  • Posted

I have been taking bisoprolol for six weeks now, I feel very lethargic and do have a lot of flatulance,  does this medication cause this and would it diminish after a while
    • Posted

Hi Charles - nif you have time you should read the various previous comments as they will give you a much better/broader response than this one.

The main "complaint" about bisop is the tiredness and lethargy that this med. bringgs with it together with the apparent "denial" of such by those who prescribe it.

Not certain about the flatulence though

• Posted

I'm 33 years old and recenty diagnosed with SVT. Cardiologist thinks best treatment is ablation as I get symptoms 5-6 times a day every day. Opted for medication first as it was all a bit out of the blue and too much to take in... He put me on Bisoprolol but I hate it so much, I've gone from 62 kilos to 87 in 3 months without really changing my diet! I am so swollen nothing fits me and my skin is pitting and I waddlike like I'm pregnant! I have zero libido and I have nightmares so bad that I have felt things smack me round the face in the night and thought I've seen a ghost! I am tired but at the same time I can't sleep and although it has 95% of the time stopped the racing heart beat it now only happens once a week or once a fortnight I still get the ectopic beats which I was told are really hard to treat. The nausia has stopped but everything else is worse! When I went to my next clinic appointment my consultant was off and I saw a reg but he freaked out about the ablation saying how risky it was for someone so young. He scared me so I went with changing my meds to the calcium blocker verapamil... Has anyone been on these? Any help or advice??
  • Posted

Not personally but you can refer to the wikipedia site for SVT

It does list treatments and meds, and bisop (by name) not included,

but verapamil is as a follow up treatment

• Posted

Hi, I know you first posted over a year ago so I hope you feel a bit better now? I have been on Bisoprolol for almost 2 years now and the side effect I get still is the  tiredness, some mornings about an hour after taking them I have to go back to bed for about an hour and I go right off to sleep, I am retired so not too much of a problem but very frustrating as I hate wasting time during the day, I have also developed a cough and am not sure if the Biso are causing that or not, I still get ectopic beats so they haven't stopped those which is annoying but at least my heartrate is slower, 54 instead of 190! cool
  • Posted

Hello, been on Bisoprolol 2.5mg for barely a month only.

I'm searching for side effects because I've experienced nightmares quite a few times already, and I'm trying to see if there was a connection.

Other effects I noticed so far were feeling really tired on some days, and leg cramps.

Thanks for the posts of everyone here on this topic. Very helpful.

• Posted

I've been on Bisoprolol 2.5mg for 8 years and still get very vivid dreams.  Not as many as when I first started taking them but still I get them.  Very realistic dreams.  I've told various doctors and nurses that they are so realistic that the conversation I'd be having with the medic. could in fact be a dream and that I might wake up later and find myself in bed and that mthe whole consultation was in fact a dream.  I still get leg cramps.  The symptoms I experienced when first taking Bisoprolol have gradually faded over the years but still are major.  The best I can get out the medics is that it is better to take them than not to.  So there you go!

• Posted

Im taking Bisoprolol for tachycardia caused by hyperthyroidism. It is the worst drug I have ever taken. I'm only 27 but feel like 97. I'm tired almost all day long. My muscles feel weak and extremely fatigued. Constant headaches. I cry all the time because I want to stop taking this satanic medicine but can't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.