Bisoprolol - side effects or anxiety?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone!

I was prescribed Bisoprolol last November (high BP). I take 2.5mg twice a day.

At first I found it hard to adjust to the tablets - I felt super anxious and could 'feel' my heart beat, got terrible headaches... But I started to feel better and felt calmer soon... However, I've started getting weird symptoms since (around) February - leg weakness and pain, extreme dizziness, anxiety that's through the roof, pressure in head/face (sinus?)... It's all a bit on and off - f.e recently there were a couple of weeks where I felt pretty much okay. I am generally a very anxious person and I realise all these symptoms could just be down to anxiety but I feel so ill most days, I can hardly walk (and I'm only 37, with no other major health issues that I'm aware of) and I just think it's interesting it all started after I started taking bisoprolol...

Has anyone else had these types of side effects? I'm tempted to halve the dose and see if I feel any better...

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I took Biso for only 4 months I started having tachycardia (SVT), I felt absolutely awful on it. I had fatigue. It was so bad I couldn't get off the sofa. My hands and feet were freezing.

I was told to stop it 5 days prior to having an ablation done. I asked my EP is that was fine to just stop it like that cold turkey.He said it was fine. Well.....it wasn't fine. I immediately went in withdrawal. Such bad anxiety. My legs were shaky and jittery. I could hardly walk. And the nervousness was over the top.

But because my doctor told me it was ok, I didnt make the connection. I did not realize it was withdrawal and thought it was just anxiety.So my GP put me on trazdone and a benzo. Stupid me for not researching what I was putting in my mouth.

I took those for 18 months and then had to very slowly wean off both of them. I went through hell.

If I knew then what I know now.............

I will never ever take biso again

• Posted

i relate. i am on Atenolol and feel as suck as a dog most days. i am trying to taper off but finding it challenging.

• Posted

hello, is anyone still active on this forum? i plan on stopping Bisoprolol soon. as i do not want to rely on this medication forever.

i am on 5mg. 2.5 morning and 2.5 night.

i have inappropriate sinus tachycardia but its not too severe.

before i started Bisoprolol in January my resting heart rate was between 90-101. whilst on Bisoprolol my Resting HR is 80. a couple of weeks ago i stopped taking it (weaning off over a couple weeks)

my heart rate has never been so high! i thought i was going to die and couldn't stop shaking with fear.

am i going to have to stay on this forever? i feel hopeless and don't know what to do 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.