Bisoprolol taken with ventalin

Posted , 4 users are following.

I  suffer from Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and during a visit to Jersey last year I started to get out of breath so I puffed on my Asthmatic Ventolin puffer within a couple of hours of taking more Ventolin my breathing became really worse so bad that I was rushed into Jersey Hospital, a cardiology doctor informed me that I had probably OD on Ventalin which had an adverse affect with the Bisoprolol they told me to stop taking the Bisoprolol.

As soon as I returned to mainland England I saw my own Cardio Doctor he agreed with the Jersey Doctor and prescribed me with Viazem XL, been brilliant since.  My brother suffers with the same heart problem he also has been taken Ventolin and his breathing is really bad he keeps getting panic attacks, his GP says that there is not a problem taking Bisoprolol and Ventolin . Question: Can any one advise.   

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Bisoprolol is a beta blocker and as far as I know it is NOT suitable for anybody with Asthma or any airway problems.  I have A.Fib and a few months ago my cardio said I should 'challenge' Bisoprolol and started me on 1.25 mg a day.  Got rapidly up to 5 mg and started having breathing difficulty but I pressed on until one night I just could hardly breathe and Ventolin didn't help. Bisoprolol was stopped immediately and now I take Flecainide - which is OK so far.

I think Bisoprolol has so many bad side effects, breathing being one of the more serious; tiredness is another problem as well.

• Posted

Thanks CroydonGeorge, I am so annoyed that my brothers doctor has ignored my experience.

• Posted

I am beginning to think I"m a lot tougher than most Bisoprolol takers.. I am on the next highest dose of 10mg/6.25mg HCTZ ... I think it does not come higher than 15mg/6.25mg. {oh well, just saw online a 20mg dose } Yet I seem to have half of the page full of sideeffects in mild forms... thank goodness...  You did not mention the mg dosage you were on...  I am sorry you were put on it at all... Did your Doc not know about this Incompatibility with Ventalin...?  Yet with all the double checking necessary with medications, I wonder that there are not more goofs... how can any Doc keep up with it all... especially when the text shows only a very limited interaction description...

The text I got from the pharmacy explaining Bisoprolol does not mention Asthma medication as contraindicated... I just checked on WebMD -- it states this:

Who should not take bisoprolol fumarate oral?

Check with your physician if you have any of the following Conditions:

Depression, Myasthenia Gravis, Anaphylactic Shock due to Allergy Shots, Complete Heart Block, Second Degree Atrioventricular Heart Block, Sick Sinus Syndrome, Sinus Bradycardia, Suddenly Serious Symptoms of Heart Failure, Occasional Numbness, Prickling, or Tingling of Fingers and Toes, Peripheral Vascular Disease, Asthma, Asthma Attack, Severe Chronic Obstructed Lung Disease, Liver Problems, Psoriasis, Blood Circulation Failure due to Serious Heart Condition, Pregnancy, Tumor of Adrenal Gland Causing High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Moderate to Severe Kidney Impairment......

So Asthma is mentioned-  but in the Interaction Section the Asthma medications are not there...

golly ... there are a couple of items in that list that should make me seek another medication... have to look into that......I will research Viazem XL, if that is available in the middle of USA, and thank you for relating your situation to us... it may warn more bloggers who need Beta blockers... I wish you well !!

• Posted

Brian, I agree that doctors have a huge job in keeping abreast of all the drug interactions with existing health problems and other drugs. Very difficult, almost impossible for many GPs especially.

My Atrial Fib seemed to get worse with Bisoprolol and I questioned my GP as to whether it was the CAUSE of my continuing fast heart beat. He said NO, it would NOT be doing this.  However, as he spoke he was tapping away on his PC and then suddenly said "Oh, hang on a second ... Cut the dose in half!"  A few weeks later my Cardiologist told me to stop Bisoprolol immediately and switch to Flecainide.  Problem solved.

• Posted

I agree that doctors, especially GPs, cannot possibly keep up with the thousands of drug combinations and side effects that exist today.  When I was being 'challenged' with Bisoprolol my heart rate was getting so rapid for so long I visited my doctor and questioned whether this beta blocker could actually be exacerbating this heart problem.  He said without thinking much that it would 
  • Posted

Hi, I have been taking Bisoprolol for over 2 weeks after been taken into hospital with Ectopic heart beats. I have been getting short bursts of breathlessness that last just seconds but it is very uncomfortable. Can you tell me what did your  breathing feel like? 

Thanks

• Posted

Didn't finish my last reply: Doctor then said CUT the dose in half! Later, my Cardio said STOP it altogether and switch to Flecainide!  Problem solved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.