Bisoprolol withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I am into my third week of a slow bisoprolol withdrawal and have started to get flutters and palpatations. Has anyone else had this while withdrawing bisoprolol. Does anyone also know how to cut the tablet in half and quarters without it turning to dust, I am finding it hard to keep reducing to a level amount. I have read abouth tablet cutters but they have not got very good reports

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

you need to slowly taper off of it every week. i tapered off completely after 14 years by buying a milligram scale and weighing it out before taking it. every week i would drop the weight by 1 mg(weight on scale). so initially i would cut my pill to what looked liked my dosage then i would weigh it( this would be my initial weight) i would start the ween from. weight of the pill was say on the scale 0.50 mg. from there i would weigh the pill every time at 0.50 every week , grab a razer and slowy and carefully slice a bit off of it making it 0.49mg, slicing off 0.1mg every monday(weekly) until i initially reached it down to 0.5 and so on. you have to buy a digital scale that would weigh down to 0.00 to successfully ween down correctly. i also recommend an adaptogen like ashwaghanda to alleviate stress from weening down as this pill is insanely powerful. took me about a whole year to ween off correctly this way, rushing it will inly bring complications like very high anxiety, heart palpitations and so on. good luck!

• Posted

Hi Victor99184

Thank you for you reply we have just purchased a 0.00 scale but have found it not to be too accurate. I am weaning very slowly at 0.1 mg a week but I think I may need to be on longer than a week as I am waking early hours of the morning with the jitters. I am taking magnesium citrate which helps my palpatations but finding that because I am reducing I am getting a lot more extra beats (do theses eventually go away) I have also been taking Holy Basil for the last 11 days which I think are working a little. I am grateful for this site and the support I am getting as it make me feel that I am not alone with my withdrawal.

Regards Nannyknitting

• Posted

yes the trick with the scale is to put the pill on and off the scale multiple times to get a more accurate reading. the number that comes up the most is the number your looking for

• Posted

I was recently on a 10/6.25 dose and over the course of the past few months have come down to about a quarter of that but I do wake up at night with palpitations. I did get them once in awhile before but now it's much worse. I mentioned to the dr what I'm doing and she brought up a good point. the 6.25 part of the pill is not the beta blocker and when I'm weaning I should keep that dose close to the same so she prescribed me 5 instead of 10 but I still break those is half. I'm nervous to go down further because when i miss a day my heart pounds. that's the way I can tell I missed a pill.

• Edited

hi

I HAVE COME OFF THIS AWFUL DRUG AND HAVE BEEN SUFFERING EVER SINCE BUT AM ASSURED NOTHING WRONG WITH MY HEART. WELL IT DOESNT FEEL AS THOUGH THERES NOTHING WRONG. FLUTTERS PALPITATIONS YOU NAME IT. THIS DRUG SHOULD BE BANNED. I HAVE A PILL CUTTER AND I MUST SAY IT IS VERY USEFUL. THINK IT WAS ABOUT £4 OFF CHEMIST DIRECT

• Posted

Hi Sue93238

Thank you for you reply. How long did it to take you to come of bisoprolol and how long have you been free from this dreadful drug. I went on it for palpatations and the consultant told me nothing about it. Palpatations were worse on bidoprolol and I have only been on them 3 months but I started taking Magnesium Citrate which has helped but now im reducing I am getting flutters. I have read many people get these for quite a while after coming off bisoprolol and they eventually do go. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have got a long way to go and it is so hard I cant even see the light at the end of the tunnel yet but with help I am going to get there.

• Posted

I would say been off them for about 9months. I went back on to PROPRANALOL but have to say I still get the palpitations and really strong irregular beats and flutters. Consultant useless just says ignore them but you know yourself thats easier said than done and when you have to go to work its hard. Nobody told me you had to wean off them and I just stopped cold turkey! Am thinking of going back to Gp to get referred to different consultant

• Posted

I got admitted to hospital New Years Day they thought I had a stroke but it turned out to be withdrawal from bisoprolol. I had a lovely stroke nurse and when I told her about going on bisoprolol for palpatations she asked if anything had been checked as to why I was having them and when I said no she immediately referred me to cardiology to have a loop fitted. This is a small device under you skin which detects the palpatations and send the messages back to a computer at the hospital which finds the reason why you are having them and if you need further investigations. You also get a hand held device to hold up to the loop if you feel palpatations or missed beats and this again transmits the information to a computer. The only down side is that you could have the loop in for up to three years but I suppose that is only the same has having a pacemaker and you can do everything you normally do. So now I suppose it is just going to be a fairly long wait for the fitting. Propranolol is also another beta blocker which I was on several years ago for a short while and this gave me anxiety and also had to wean myself off slowly.

• Posted

Ive not been told about this loop so msybe I should look into it. Have had the monitors but didnt show much activity palpitation/flutter wise. I was booked in for a exercise/stress test but cancelled it because you have to stop medication for 48hours before which I couldnt do. Keep in touch and good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.