Bisoprolol withdrawal

Posted , 8 users are following.

My life and body hasn't been the same since starting on Bisoprolol! I have tried to wean off 5mg and it has taken 16months of hell. My energy and breathing is awful. Anxiety at 4am and a feeling of how will i get through the day. Palpations along with headaches.

Cardiologist and Doctors just dont get it. Heart pounding when i sleep on my left side at night. Any advise as l want to feel better!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

i have been trying to come off Bisoprolol for a while but the side effects makes me take it again. this is worse than coming off an illegal drug i,m sure! i feel awful on it and awful when i,m trying to come off it.

• Posted

Hi, im so sorry for what you are going through, I cant believe how many people are suffering with this medication. I would be grateful if you could give me some advice? I tried to lower my dose of bisoprolol recently on my doctors say so because i felt the dose was too high and it was making me feel a bit light headed, he said try going to 1/2 1.25 mg. ( I was only taking 3/4 anyway) i had such a shock when a few days later my blood pressure shot up so did my heart rate and I started to shake. My GP was just as surprised and told me to reinstate dose so I did. heart rate and BP ok now but I still feel my body is withdrawing, wake every day with jitters til i take my dose, then instead of feeling steady all day, im exhausted all morning til the dose tapers off, never did this before. my question is, how did you manage to go back on BB? Do you have a period like this or were you ok from the start? thank you so much. I'm so scared Ive started a withdrawal i cant stop

• Edited

Hi Karen yes im sadly in the same boat and after a bad few hours of palpitations and ectopic beats ive just swallowed that little white pill and im in tears. i was on propranolol for 2 years then due to ectopics, moved to bisoprolol. they give me horrendous headaches so i want to get off them. i have inappropriate sinus tachy so im ok to come off i was weaning down last 5 days and honestly thought i was ok until just now. At my wits end

• Posted

The ringing in the ears is awful! l'm only on a sliver now but everytime l try to stop my heart rate jumps if i get up and walk to the kitchen. Dizzy and morning anxiety which l never had before starting this tablet. My Cardiologist said to wean down slowly as im having withdrawals due to being sensitive to Bisoprolol. 😦

• Edited

Hi I managed to eventually get off these for good around 18 months ago I still have breathlessness at times, I put on loads of weight not sure if connected but seems it I havent felt totally right since, but 100 times better than when i was on them but im afraid you just got to go for it I had headaches for weeks maybe months and felt like id been run over by a bus. I thought my heart was going to beat so fast it would fly out of my chest but please get off them and the only way is just to stop I was on a very high dose so I halved it for one week then halved again for another week then stopped !! these are awful pills and i wish you luck. I feel like im finally coming out the other side now so dont expect to feel good over night its a long process but so worth it to feel fog free....

• Posted

did you come off a high dose? im so glad you are better. im stuck at a low dose of Atenelol (switched from Propranolol). i already dropped from 15mg to 5mg but im having the most terrible WD. extreme anxiety, agitation, profuse sweating, insomnia, headaches, burning body, cold shivers and more. im not sure whether to hold at current dose longer, cold turkey or try and continue slow tapering? Advice appreciated

• Posted

i came off a high dose straight away loterally by halving the tablets week by week took around 3 weeks i did t feel great but didnt feel great on them so was no worse

i feel great now down over three years and best thing i did i feel so much clearer in the head and my body is mine x

• Posted

hello, is anyone still active on this forum? i plan on stopping Bisoprolol soon. as i do not want to rely on this medication forever.

i am on 5mg. 2.5 morning and 2.5 night.

i have inappropriate sinus tachycardia but its not too severe.

before i started Bisoprolol in January my resting heart rate was between 90-101. whilst on Bisoprolol my Resting HR is 80. a couple of weeks ago i stopped taking it (weaning off over a couple weeks)

my heart rate has never been so high! i thought i was going to die and couldn't stop shaking with fear.

am i going to have to stay on this forever? i feel hopeless and don't know what to do 😦

• Edited

my heart rate has remained high due to this pill however it goes high when walking etc around 110-120 but im ok in every way the doctors are not concerned and say that some people have faster beats they would t want to admit the pills did it would they

but i was on high does and i mean high 7.5i just kept halving the tablets until no more i felt awful like my post above says but well

worth fetting off i had terrible doctors back then but have moved hoise now and have great ones good luck i get emails if someone posts under my name so ill

always answer anytjing if you wosh to say

good luck you will feel awful but it will be worth it xx

• Posted

hi Karen

im in the same or similar boat. i started on 15mg of Propranolol and over five months I have gone down to 5 mg (i switched to Atenolol half way). my last cut was 50 days ago. i feel very very ill. Anxiety, sweating, freezing, burning and more. perhaps we can correspond?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.