Bisoprolol withdrawal advice.

Posted , 6 users are following.

been on bisoprolol since september originally at 2.5 after being rushed to hospital with fast heart rate of 156 and bp shouting up.Sure the ace inhibitor liprosilil (apologise for spelling) caused it as was also on antibotics at time. Any over the course of around nine weeks ive put up with every serious side effect it stated bisoprolol can cause spasms especially in legs and hands to point i know have problems using my fingers, coldness, insomia rash etc. Dose was increased and increased to the point on 10 mg i went to a and e as couldnt breath and world was spinning.Reduced to 7.5 for a few weeks and still the brain fog and dizzyness. Dropped to 5mg for two days.Then GP told me to stop as i could bearly walk and breath i sobbed in her office that day

Didnt get through the next day before panic about bp set in and i end up in a and e with pulse of 119. Next day GP put me on 2.5 mg BP At this stage 140/92 then two days pate 140/90 that was two weeks ago and the dizzy and brain fog came back, This week ive had gas pains and my chest felt heavy. ive lost so much weight and power in my legs since september depression and anixety have also kicked in over the time.Pulse was dropping to forty at times

ANYWAY,My question is as the dose was reduced to 1.5 taken this noontime and bp was 125/78. What kind of withdrawl do i except to happen? and best way to do it ?

the cough and pain in stomach/chest and the mad gas have calmed down slightly since reducing dose today

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Michelle,

Do sorry to hear your suffering through this drug. My hubby was put on this drug in February after a heart attack, 8 weeks later the side effects kicked in. He had every side effect listed plus some, it caused more damage to his heart, (not that doctors will admit it) due to this drug he has had to have a defibrillator implanted. We went to our GP and explained all his side effects and the GP said stop them immediately which was around 10 weeks.

I would suggest coming off them slowly and cut the last one in half when down to the lowest dose. You will still have to suffer for a bit as it can take a weeks to leave the system. Good luck with coming off them.

• Posted

I was told to just stop biso to have my ablation. My doctor told me it was just fine to stop. Well it was not fine.

I went through terrible withdrawal, but I DID NOT KNOW AT THE TIME IT WAS BISO WITHDRAWAL. I thought it was anxiety. I then went on trazodone and klonopin to treat the anxiety.. I would have terrible leg jitters and shakes and sometimes felt like I could not stand or walk. My whole body was in fight and flight. Mornings were terrible, I went through this for a very long time.

I just wished I knew it was biso withdrawal because going on these other 2 drugs has created a whole new messI had to wean off them that took 9 months, and it has been an additional 9 months since I have been off but I am still in protracted withdrawal.

Complete nightmare.

Also when I was on the biso, I felt like a zombie. No energy, blood pressure very low, heart rate low. and my feet were freezing

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Like the two kind folks that share there stories below! You are not alone.

This drug has also given me all the mentioned side effects. the worst one that has continued is the Insomnia and Panic attacks and Anxiety which is a shame, as everything else has improved and my body felt good. I had lost weight.. Then unfortunately the lack of sleep eventually lead to what feels like a nervous breakdown I got that frustrated. and I had to taking sleep pills that put ALL my weight back on and more, catch 22

The only thing is the cardiologist is very happy with my progress heart function (I don't know I have recovered I am a mess from these pills)

• Posted

ANYWAY,My question is as the dose was reduced to 1.5 taken this noontime and bp was 125/78. What kind of withdrawl do i except to happen? and best way to do it ?

You might get anxiety reducing it to 1.25. You might get sudden spikes in heart rates but it's not dangerous..also your blood pressure will not rise...unless you think about it to much....but real Withdrawal from bisoprolol happens when you totally stop the pill...I had a withdrawal when I stopped from 1.25 mg.....the parasymphatetic nervous system needs time to adjust from working again without external drugs. What I had was massive tiredness for 2 weeks. I managed the anxiety with xanax .5mg when i had important stuff to do. Otherwise just stay in bed and count the days. You will get better..and yes if u ask the opinion of ANY doc...they will never accept the theory of a bisoprolol withdrawal.

• Posted

thanks

ive been getting like nerves pain and shortness of breath couldnt sleep, dizzyness pain im ribs but had these with tablets

also xanax is banned in uk

• Posted

oh and Diazpam knocks me out for a hour then makes me shake and very ill after wards

• Posted

Thank you all for replies. Its horribke today i felt so dizzy especially this morning when i woke in what seemed to be i couldnt breath but was probably a panic attack or heart speeding up to norma ishl lack of sleep didnt help. I Have been getting bad gas and pain in ribs from bisoprolol lots loads of power and weight so time to go but my brain is screaming no i need my drug usual pain in ribs today and coldness doesnt help i so wish i could sleep or at least relax without my brain seeming to be in a rush

Is this normal withdrawal?

I would have asked gp but like above comment, They say withdrawal doesnt happen, its too low a dose

• Posted

Sorry to hear your having problems

I have been on bisprol for 8 years I'm on 10mg I had problems with all blood pressure tablets they have tried to take me off bisprol to do other tests but like you my heart rate goes through the roof and after about 3 days I have to be rushed to icu I suffer from conns and this makes me low on potassium so when they take bisprol away it affects the conns symptoms don't think I will be able to ever come off bisrol

All the best I wish you well for the future

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.